Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kri11shna Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2008, 07:23 AM
    Water in bottom pan of a. c. unit, a Bryant heat pump
    Friends,
    My 3 tonne Bryant Heat Pump for my house has water collecting at the bottom of the unit. I show it to mechanics and he opened coil area where he show couple of the copper coils with freze on it. He said there is a leak in one of the coil, that's why water do not go to the drain pipe but it drips on the air filter and collected at bottom pan.
    Question: Do you think I need to replace the cooling coil? If yes, do have any idea how much it will cost? It is a heat pump with split zones for ground floor and first floor.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2008, 08:37 AM
    Doesn`t sound right,maybe I`m not understanding the problem,, sounds to me the drain is just stopped up,which can be fixed by slearing out the drain,maybe by sucking out the drain with a shop vac. If coil was leaking freon the a/c would not be doing its job,by cooling the house,, did he check the presures to see if low on freon?

Jul 26, 2008, 02:39 PM
    We checked the drain line. It runs the condensate water without any problem. A/C is cooling house. The slant cooling coil condensate the water in center and rather getting the water to the drain pan (at the bottom of the coil), from where the drain starts water drips on the air filter and ends up in bottom pan under the whole unit. A/C unit is in attic therefore unit is installed with pan to collect the water and avoid the damage to ceiling. There are two separate drains run to outside of the house. One from cooling coil bottom and the other from bottom of the whole unit.

Jul 26, 2008, 02:42 PM
    Does any body have idea how much a cooling coil cost for a 3 tonne unit?
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2008, 05:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kri11shna
    Does any body have idea how much a cooling coil cost for a 3 tonne unit?
    Anywhere from 400.00 to 800.00,, is according to the labor in your area,and the tech needs to look at your unit,, they are all installed different sometimes
    girishgkulkarni Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 6, 2008, 08:13 AM
    Hi Krishna

I am facing a similar problem

Can you please let me know if u solved yours, please let me know how...

Girish
    listen2mp3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2012, 06:13 AM
    I'm not an expert HVAC person and this may or may not help, but is what I'm trying if it helps anyone. I may be wrong in my thought process, buy you can decide for yourself what you are comfortable doing or not doing in your situation.

06/20/12 & 06/21/12 were considerably hot in my area and the A/C was not being used in the normal routine that it runs in as a result... things froze up and the water filled the pan and triggered the auto water level switch and shut the condenser off which in effect made the A/C stop. If I drained the pan the A/C would turn on again because the switch went back down, but the pan filled right back up within a few hours again which made everything an issue again. I found shutting the A/C off and thawing the unit out helped.

You may want to try to turn your A/C off, but leave the fan running. Let the ice thaw out for ~3-4 hours at least. While the unit is thawing, if you can, you may want to optionally get and run a dehumidifier where your A/C unit is in your house where the freezing is occurring, that might help a bit. (Maybe it will keep the humidity low enough to prevent condensation where the moisture eventually freezes, builds up, melts, and continues to fill the pan.) Watch for any leak areas to make sure water is collected and drained properly. The house may be uncomfortable and hot even depending on the temperature outside.

Thanks
    thermalmedics Posts: 153, Reputation: 13

Jun 22, 2012, 08:49 PM
    Although those are some great band-aids you have to address the real issue at hand at some point. There are a ton of DIY options available to you to do first then if you run out of those you will have the knowledge to call a tech out and not get BS'ed into anything

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bryant Heat Pump stopped blowing cool. [ 6 Answers ]

Last night all of the sudden, the registers stopped blowing cool air. The indoor fan is still running and blowing air, there is just no temp split at all in relation to the rest of the house. The fan outside on the condenser is kicking on. What are the possibilities, and what tools are needed to...

Bryant Heat Pump Buzzing Noise [ 3 Answers ]

Ten year old Bryant heat pump cools house fine, but the unit doesn't run as quiet as it once did. Inside the house you can hear a slight humming. Seems to be getting a little louder as the days pass. When you go outside to the unit it sounds normal, but when the fan stops and the 20 seconds or so...

Moving a heat pump unit [ 1 Answers ]

Is it difficult to move a heat pump unit to a location about 15 feet away? Is it just a matter of moving the unit and extending the connections, or is there something more complicated about it?

Bryant Heat Pump not cooling [ 4 Answers ]

I noticed the other night that my 14 yr old Bryant heat pump was not cooling when I got home. The fan on the unit was not spinning, but I could hear the unit making a buzz. When I used a stick reach the fan to rotate it, it actually spun up to running speed, but never did cool the air in the...

Dishwasher Overflowing and Water Left in Bottom of Unit [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone, I've been without a dishwasher for years because I thought mine was bad. When I first moved into my condo I had a half size, ancient dishwasher that started to overflow about the third time I used it. After several years I decided to replace it with a full size unit and on my...

View more questions Search