Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GURLINPEARLS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2008, 05:40 AM
    How to get legal after marriage
    My husband and I got married three years ago and we hesitated to act on getting legal because people say its hard to get papers these days? What should I do and where should I begin? I am a US citizen and my husband is not and without papers her in america.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2008, 06:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by GURLINPEARLS
    my husband and i got married three years ago and we hesitated to act on getting legal because people say its hard to get papers these days? what should i do and where should i begin? I am a US citizen and my husband is not and without papers her in america.

Under these circumstances I would consult with an Immigration Attorney - now before someone catches on and tries to deport him.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 26, 2008, 07:02 AM
    Yes, getting married does not automatically give anyone any extra special rights, but it does allow for them to apply because they are married.
    It is best if you do get an attorney and let them help you though the process.
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jul 26, 2008, 10:28 AM
    He needs to file a waiver before proceeding with adjustment of status. This is very difficult situation and you need experienced immigration attorney. Each case is different owing to personal details and situation. Check success rate of the attorney on cases similar to this one before you retain him/her. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Legal status (student visa) becoming legal resident? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am a legal resident green card holder and have been so for 28 years. I met someone and fell in love and got married. The problem is she is here on a student visa. I would like to know if it is possible for her to obtain legal obtain status. There are a few circumstances that I feel that may...

Love marriage or arrange marriage? [ 6 Answers ]

I have boyfriend but my parents want that I will do marriage with a boy of their choice.I really love my Boyfriend and he also love me. What should I do?

Counting as legal marriage without being married [ 1 Answers ]

I was going to post this as a question about law, but anyway. So does anyone know if you can count as being married even without legally being married, in some states? Like if you are living with someone as a couple but you never really had any legal ceremony or signed any papers... can you in...

Giving up legal right to pursue legal actions [ 8 Answers ]

I want to up all legal right to pursue legal action against my male partner before I give birth to my unborn child. How do I go about doing that? I mean I want it in written form that I give up the right to sue him for any type of child support or any type of care to my child. Also I don't want to...

International Marriage in military.. Could Divorce... What do I do to save our marriage [ 7 Answers ]

My husband is in Germany serving the US Army and since November 14, 2005 he has been gone. I was supposed to go over there with him but yet to go. He says that he wants a divorce and when I try to get the real true reason out of him nothing works all he says is that I know why but deep down I have...

View more questions Search