Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Juanita H Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2006, 11:45 AM
    91' honda civic stalled while driving??
    :( I was driving my 91' honda civic hatchback when it just stalled as I'm driving. I thought it might have been my battery so we put a new battery in but that wasn't it. It sounds like it's going to start but just doesn't fire up. I was told to check the ECU for the error codes but it only blinked once. Checked to see if it was getting gas and it is, checked to see if there was spark and there is. Took off the distributer cap there was little melted shavings of plastic inside the cap. What could be the problem?? :mad:
    Vandy-1 Posts: 99, Reputation: 6

Apr 8, 2006, 01:06 AM
    Start by replacing the cap and rotor. Is the fuel filter clogged up ?
    When was it changed last ? What is the condition of the plugs and plug
    Wires?
    Juanita H Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2006, 01:37 AM
    Found out what it is, needs a new distributor and the timing belt needs to be tightened.
    patsko Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2006, 04:56 PM
    I have the same problem. Not sure where the timing belt is at. Any ideas for me?
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Apr 10, 2006, 05:53 PM
    Timing belt is on the drivers side of the engine. It's hidden behind the plastic timing belt cover. To change it, you need to remove the crank pulley (has a VERY HARD tightened bolt on it) and drivers side engine mount... might as well change your timing belt tensioner and water pump while you're at it.
    Vandy-1 Posts: 99, Reputation: 6

Apr 10, 2006, 06:38 PM
    Yes, as stated by Cro Civic91, the timing belt should be replaced, I've never
    Heard of it being tightened. And again as he said replace those mentioned items
    Now so you don't have to tear back into again anytime too soon.
    patsko Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2006, 12:33 AM
    Hey thanks for the help, but I noticed my rocker arms are still moving, so the timing belt is good. I have a bad distributer.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1999 Honda accord electrical shuts off when driving [ 42 Answers ]

I have a 1999 Honda Accord that occasionately shuts off while driving down road. First thought it just ran out of gas but running out of gas would not shut all electrical systems down. Anyone have any ideas?

91 honda civic suddenly cuts out while driving [ 37 Answers ]

I have a 1991 honda civic dx. Worked great until last week when I was stopped at a red light and the engine just cut out. Restarted OK. Then I was cruising down the freeway and the engine suddenly cut out again. I pulled over into the shoulder and it started fine. Now, I can't make a 5 minute...

98 Honda Civic Shuts off while driving [ 2 Answers ]

Ok here is the freakin problem... I can be driving and my car will completely shut off. The radio will turn off and turn back on, but the power steering goes out, the blinker won't work and then the lights on the dash board will blink on and off with a sound of a clicking noise that sounds...

91 Honda Civic [ 3 Answers ]

Engine runs rough - a lack of power but not a hard miss - until engine warms up but car must sit for at least 18 hrs. 170,000 miles. Replaced plugs, cap rotor - no help. Distributor shaft has minor oil leak allowing oil to get inside of cap - maybe related.

View more questions Search