Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    micro21 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2008, 12:32 AM
    SoCal Formal Probation Leaving the State (misdemeanor DUI)
    I was convicted of a misdemeanor DUI in Ventura County, Ca. I was sentenced to a 2900$ fine and 36 months formal probation. This was unexpected to me only because this is for a misdemeanor DUI conviction (first offense with .12 BAC)

I was told by my attorney that assuming I pay the fine in full on the day of the conviction (which I did), most likely my probation officer (who I have yet to be contacted by as my court date was only yesterday) would change the status of my formal probation to informal probation. Anyway my concern is I have a vacation already paid for on August 15 for 3 days out of state. Is it likely that my probation officer will or will not let me go if I have already paid my fine, enrolled in alcohol school, etc...

Thanks
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2008, 02:05 PM
    What does your attorney say about you leaving the state so soon after getting on probation? Most likely you won't be able to leave the state - prepaid vacation or no prepaid vacation. If you don't get written permission to leave the state and you are caught outside the state, then you violate your probation. Don't risk it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 26, 2008, 03:10 PM
    Will just depend, I know of a lot of PO that will not, so you need to get with them ASAP and find out.
    micro21 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2008, 04:24 PM
    Thanks for your responses and answers. Yeah I definitely don't plan on risking anything what so ever I won't be going unless I know I am allowed (I always buy flight insurance if anything needs to be canceled).

The main thing though that I am confused by is why would I even be on a formal probation for a first offense MISDEMEANOR dui. I mean now that my fine is paid would they really want probation officers wasting their time with me? Regardless this is my punishment and I except it, but have you heard of being moved from formal to informal probation once financial responsibility is covered for someone in my position.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaving the State on Probation without permission [ 6 Answers ]

I tried to get Permission but they would not approve me to leave the state. I want to know if they is anyway they could prove that I left the state. Credit Cards or through the airport? I bought plane tickets a while back and now Im stuck between a rock and a hard place.

Probation leaving state [ 2 Answers ]

If placed under unsupervised probation am I allowed to leave the state of conviction?

If a have a warrant for a misdemeanor in one state and move to another state. [ 3 Answers ]

If someone has a warrant for a failure to appear for a misdemeanor and they move to another state. Will they be able to get a license in the other state? And would the previous state really extradite for a misdemeanor?

Probation n leaving the state [ 3 Answers ]

Yea I got arrested for a shopplifting charge. Now I'm given a four month probation sentence. I plan to go to summer school in Rhode Island. Do u think my parents can tell my po not to let me go?. I'm 18 How long does it take for the process take to get another po in Rhode Island? Can I get a...

Summary probation vs. Formal probation [ 2 Answers ]

If I arrested for under the influence of controlled substance and I'm on summary probation, Would I still be charged with violation of probation the same as if I were on formal probation?

View more questions Search