Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2006, 10:07 AM
    Parents Beware
    Hi,
    Tonight, Fri, 04-07-06, "Dateline NBC" will have a report on MySpace.com, with input from MySpace.
    If you are a parent with teens, who use the internet, and in particular, please be aware what information your teen(s) has put on online.
    Some teens are "going too far" with posting MyProfile, and personal information about themselves, such as:
    1. Real name
    2. Real home address, even with real phone numbers
    3. School name
    4. Pictures of themselves, and even family pictures.

CBS Network, and other News organizations have reported that MySpace.com is the Number 1 site now for "sexual predators". MySpace has reported they are "cracking down" on too much information, deleting millions of profile so far, just recently.

This is just a warning to parents about being informed what your teen is "saying" online.
    Best wishes.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2006, 01:49 PM
    Fred,

This broadcast does not air until 7pm Sunday April 9, 2006 on NBC

Followed by an all new West Wing :)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2006, 08:53 AM
    Thanks for the correction.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2006, 01:52 PM
    Well thankfully I don't have to worry about this kind of thing yet... my children are too young, and I only let them play on the CBC Kids website, supervised. But yeah it's something I've got to "look forward to" in the future. Sigh. Thanks for the recommendation.
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2006, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by orange
    Well thankfully I don't have to worry about this kind of thing yet... my children are too young, and I only let them play on the CBC Kids website, supervised. But yeah it's something I've got to "look forward to" in the future. Sigh. Thanks for the recommendation.
    Here is another fun-kids friendly web site for your kids to check out:

The Premier's Kid Zone

http://www.kids.premier.gov.on.ca/english/
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2006, 06:19 PM
    Oh thanks CaptainForest! I just checked and it looks pretty cute and harmless. The only problem is, after playing on it for a while, I'll bet the kids will be begging to go on a trip to Ontario. Not that that's a bad thing, though! :)
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2006, 10:51 PM
    Oh thanks CaptainForest! I just checked and it looks pretty cute and harmless. The only problem is, after playing on it for a while, I'll bet the kids will be begging to go on a trip to Ontario. Not that that's a bad thing, though! :)
    Lol.

Yeah, I had a lot of fun playing on that website myself.

Toronto is a lot of fun. :)

Also, Paramount's Canada's Wonderland in Vaughn (about 30 min from Toronto).
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 9, 2006, 06:29 AM
    From the promo I saw for that Dateline it looks like a good thing to watch. Its nothing new, however. The problems it documents have been around for years. Before Myspace existed. Whether it will have good tips for protecting the kids was not clear.

From what I saw, they interviewed some teens who claimed to know about online safety, then showed their parents just how much info they were revealing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If parents in Texas die without a will [ 8 Answers ]

I live in Texas and have one brother and one sister left living. I have one brother that has passed away. My questions is if my parents die without a will, will my brother children,the one that passed away,be entittled to anything?

Parents don't understand! [ 5 Answers ]

Ever since I had a boyfriend my parents make it hard on me.They think that all my attention goes on him and not my school work.Now he's my fionce and my parents think that we are getting married so I can move in with him.Well it's not true.I love him and he loves me.We have been friends since...

My Parents have split. [ 26 Answers ]

Hey guys, When I was 10yrs my Mum and Dad got divorced. It was very hard for me and growing up I have not really had much to do with my Dad; which is sad because I was always a Daddy's girl. My mum remarried when I was 12yrs and since then my Step-Dad has always been there for me. I look to...

Beware of Xylitol [ 1 Answers ]

We visited the dog guide school school recently. Thought I would share some of what I learned. One of their veterinarians gave a talk on current hazards. Xylitol, a newer artificial sweetener finding wide use in sugar free gums, is very bad for dogs, see...

Telling Parents [ 2 Answers ]

Hello All, I just found this group this eveing I have an issue where I can use a little advise if any one can help. Ok here goes. A little about me My name is steve I and am 25 years old. My Parents are both loving and caring I come from a 3 person family meaning I am a only child My...

View more questions Search