Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    parent25 Posts: 55, Reputation: 3

Jul 25, 2008, 08:04 PM
    Picture uploads from digital camera
    Ok... I know I know I should know this by now but I don't know how to make pictures smaller.

I transfer then from my digital camera to my computer then I try to email them but they take forever to attach to email.. after I get all of that done the people I send the pics to have trouble opening them because the file is too big..

How can I fix this? I know I have to make pics smaller but how do I go about doing that?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 25, 2008, 08:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by parent25
    how can i fix this? I know I have to make pics smaller but how do i go about doing that??
    The simplest way would be to adjust your camera settings for those pictures you know you're going to email to generate files with smaller resolutions, for instance 800x600 pixels instead of 1024x768 or larger. Adjusting the file format to one with compression, say from BMP to JPG, would also help.

Otherwise, image editing software is required. You probably already have rudimentary editing software installed as it tends to come bundled with scanners, cameras, and other devices. Again, reduce the image size to 1024x768 pixels or smaller. Next, the color depth of the image can be reduced from millions of colors to 256 colors on most images without the image looking horrible. Lastly, re-save the image in JPG format, and if your software supports it, adjust the compression level upwards until the image starts to have noticeable blockiness. If your recipients do not have broadband Internet access, a target filesize for the resulting JPG image file should be around 100 KB or less.
    parent25 Posts: 55, Reputation: 3

Jul 25, 2008, 08:51 PM
    Where do I change the pixels? On my camera or the computer somewhere?

And the JPG thing... do you mean when I save my pics from camera to my computer to rename it with jpg at the end? And that automatically makes it smaller?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 25, 2008, 08:53 PM
    www.Irfranvew.com works nicely to re-size images. To fill the screen set the largest dimension to 640 and keep proportions.

Say you have a 10 mega-pixel camera, you can reduce the size in the camera to 5 MP, but when emailing, it will have to be reduced more. Good image quality depends on the size and type of media it's rendered on. Wallet sized prints will obviously need less resolution than 8.5 x 11". If you take it larger, you can always reduce, but you can't go the other way without sacrificing quality.
    Loui Posts: 18, Reputation: 2

Jul 25, 2008, 08:57 PM
    Put it on paint go to image on the top, then go to sketch and skew you can make it smaller there.
    Hope this helps
    Good Luck!
    ~Loui

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Digital camera picture sizes [ 6 Answers ]

Hi All I am having problems with the size of my pics when I email them to others, the pics sent come out so large that you have to move around the screen to view them. Do I have to change the size on my camera or the comp, if so how do I do this. I have a Panasonic DMC FZ7, I have tried to find...

Digital Camera Not Seen [ 3 Answers ]

Can anybody tell me why one computer has no problems downloading pics from a Kodak Digital EasyShare CX6330 camera, but another one will not see the camera. Adobe PhotoShop Album Starter Edition 3.0, and Microsoft Scanner and Camera Wizard, they both tell me that there is no camera, Roxio Capture...

Best Digital Camera for less than $500 [ 6 Answers ]

I am looking to purchase the best digital camera I can for less than $500. While I am especially taken by the features offered by the SONY MVC CD-350 (disc type) the sales people I have talked to seem to prefer the Fuji FinePix 55000 or the FinePix A310 which are both "stick type"?? Thanks. Ponton

Digital camera [ 3 Answers ]

I bought a goodmans g-shot 3003cc for xmas Have installed the drivers cd, there's a bit on iy which I ticked says "decode all supported fourccs(divx,dx50,mp4v) Have ticked this, when I plug the camera in , instructions say to open folder to veiw files using windows explorer , but this cannot...

View more questions Search