Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rayachi Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2008, 12:15 PM
    Ohms for compressor
    Please help me to find the run / start / common in compressor , thank you:confused: :confused: :confused:
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 25, 2008, 02:13 PM
    If you have the compressor specifications, you can look up what the winding resistance and then measure the winding to compare them but in most cases this information is not readily available. As long as you under stand how the windings are configured. There are only 3 possible readings you can take on the 3 terminals. Run winding will be the lowest ohm reading, the start winding next higher, and both windings combined will be the highest and should be equal to the sum of the other two.

If the reading on S to R is less than the sum, then an electrical short exist between the run and start windings. If one winding reads open or infinite then winding is damaged and the compressor needs to be replaced. If the readings from S to R is 8 Ohms and C to R is open and C to S is open, the internal overload is open. If this all checks out then the compressor is likely OK electrically NOTE: these are arbitary numbers and are not to be used in determining the actual basis of the impedance of your compressor windings.

The image below is a common layout for compressor terminals BUT that is no guarantee this is the layout for yours. It is just an example.
    Attached Images

rayachi Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Jul 25, 2008, 02:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rayachi
    PLEASE HELP ME TO FIND THE RUN / START / COMMON IN COMPRESSOR , THANK YOU:confused: :confused: :confused:
    Can u give me an example for more explanation , sorry about that thank you mr hvac1000
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 25, 2008, 02:50 PM
    This is all I have if you cannot figure out what I posted then you should stop working on your system and call a professional. What I posted is very clear and concise. You may have to go to the library and see what they have to offer on this subject.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Normal Operating Ohms for a Washer Motor [ 1 Answers ]

I was wondering if any one new the nomral operating ohms for a washer motor... any kind of just a general ohms.. thanks

Ohms law experiment [ 1 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me how do you know if the measured amperage and voltage from the indicated resistance is right?

Wiring dual 2 ohms subs to 4 ohm load [ 1 Answers ]

How do you wire dual 2 ohm subs to a 4 ohms load on a monoblock amp that is 2 ohm stable

What is better 4 ohms or 2 ohms [ 4 Answers ]

I know that the sub and the amp have to match but what is the difference in the two different subs and which is better

Subwoofers ohms [ 36 Answers ]

I have a 2400 watt amp with 4 ohms and I'm going to get two subwoofers I was wondering how many ohms I need in each subwoofer

View more questions Search