Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Apr 7, 2006, 06:57 AM
    Alone On Mars?
    How much would you have to be paid in order to spend one year alone on Mars?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2006, 07:10 AM
    I'd do it for free!. well, they'd have to pay my mtg. car payment, etc. while I were gone...

PS; of course my wife and 6 kids, would have to agree :o
    -

Apr 7, 2006, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    I'd do it for free! ...well, they'd have to pay my mtg., car payment, etc. while I were gone...

PS; of course my wife and 6 kids, would have to agree :o
    You are a brave person.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2006, 08:33 AM
    Of course that freebie would be assuming safe travel there, a safe station to live in, etc...

In a heartbeat!

... of course I'd need a really good internet connection, too so that I could report back to AskMeHelpDesk as to how I was doing :p
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2006, 12:49 PM
    I would love to go to Mars... or the Moon.. or even outerspace.

$2,000,000 tax free. That would be my price. I might settle for a bit lower though.
    milliec Posts: 262, Reputation: 55

Apr 7, 2006, 02:26 PM
    STARMAN?!
    You're a "starman" and you ask such a question?
    Ever since I was a really little girl, I've been reading sci-fic.
    My 1st was Jules vern's "5 weeks in a ballon"- and I was hooked!
    Later on, when I read about other stars, civilization, our world in the far future, etc. I dreamt about the time when all this will happen.
    I used to calculate how old I'd be in 2000 (many of the books when I was a kid picked this year as their story background)1
    Wow!
    How much would I like to spend a year over there!
    In fact, since I don't see it coming during this lifetime, I would seriously consider the opportunity to reincarnate!!
    Millie :)
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Apr 7, 2006, 03:51 PM
    I would do it for $100,000 - paid up front... but with $1,000,000 insurance in case I was killed while on the mission.

I would welcome the time to be alone with my own thoughts, and do my own things, without outside influences.

Like Rick, I'd like to have an Internet connection, so I could blog, post pictures, and answer questions.

If I was to be there completely cut off from all communications, I'd have to quadruple my fee! ;)
    -

Apr 8, 2006, 03:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by milliec
    STARMAN??!!!
    you're a "starman" and you ask such a question?
    Ever since I was a really little girl, I've been reading sci-fic.
    My 1st was Jules vern's "5 weeks in a ballon"- and I was hooked!
    Later on, when I read about other stars, civilization, our world in the far future, etc., I dreamt about the time when all this will happen.
    I used to calculate how old I'd be in 2000 (many of the books when I was a kid picked this year as their story background)1
    Wow!
    How much would I like to spend a year over there!
    In fact, since I don't see it coming during this lifetime, I would seriously consider the opportunity to reincarnate!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Millie :)
    Jules Verne was a very skilled writer and I too enjoyed reading his stories.
    I do share your fascination with space exploration and would like to travel to another planet someday. However, until more is known about the subterranean regions of Mars, I wouldn't chance being there alone. Because of insufficient data on these regions my vivid imagination would harass me. Ever see the film "Enemy Mine" where the attacks came from underground?

Apr 8, 2006, 03:45 AM
    OH DEAR ME!
    I'm afraid I've never heard of this film - I follow the sat. programs to see if they ever show it- or better still -i'll ask them to run it.
    Thanks!
    Millie
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Apr 8, 2006, 02:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by milliec
    OH DEAR ME!
    I'm afraid i've never heard of this film - i follow the sat. programs to see if they ever show it- or better still -i'll ask them to run it.
    Thanks!
    Millie
    I'm not sure if you're meaning 5 weeks in a Balloon or Enemy Mine, but they are both great movies Millie, so you should try to see them if you can!

Me, I'm with Rick. I would live on Mars for free too, although any amount of compensation would be nice! I've always been fascinated by other planets. I'd want to bring my kids and pets with me though, which I guess would mean I wouldn't be alone... but if they wanted me to do it completely alone, as long as everyone at home was looked after, I think I still would do it.

Apr 8, 2006, 02:19 PM
    Hi!
    My letter sudenly disappeared under my finger, so bear with me if some word will appear twice!
    I read 5 weeks in a balloon when I was 7 (birthday present) and I never saw eneny mine
    Count me in for mars -will you
    So we're 3 now.
    Hope it happens during this lifetime
    I any case, I'm a hopeless optimist
    I'm sure everything will turn out JUST FINE!
    Millie
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Apr 8, 2006, 03:12 PM
    I'm ready to go now, but my wife says I have to take out the garbage. Could you wait a few minutes?:cool: :eek:
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 8, 2006, 06:55 PM
    You may want to check with excon on here, he has been asking about living in other places of late.

But free would be fine, you would make enough off endorcements, book deals, movies and the such, money would never be a issue for the rest ofyour life.

Apr 18, 2006, 11:14 PM
    :)
    Please don't omit me when you make the list!!
    Millie:)
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Apr 19, 2006, 12:44 AM
    I'd miss my cats and guinness!

Apr 19, 2006, 12:53 AM
    WHO said anything about leaving cats behind?
    Their instincts might save our lives, NOT TO MENTION I CAN'T DO WITHOUT Their PURRING!
    PRRRRRRH!
    Millie:)
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Apr 19, 2006, 01:18 AM
    Ok, I'm game... when do we go? Let me see, 5 cats, 1 year, 312 tins of wet food and 120Kg of dry Science plan Cat food. 1 barrel of guinness = 88 pints, average 10 pints a week so that's 7 barrels. Food... what about take outs can we get Pizza Express to deliver?

Apr 19, 2006, 02:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by colbtech
    Food....what about take outs can we get Pizza Express to deliver?
    I'll bet!
    Millie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Men are from Mars, Woman are from Venus, or are they? [ 18 Answers ]

Is it just me or are men and women really more similar than we all think they are. I mean yeah, that book "Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus" was really popular and was a best seller but I tend to disagree with some of what it has to say. Just from reading a lot of the posts that are in the...

Mars' Incredible "Grand Canyon" [ 3 Answers ]

I was just doing some cleanup on my computer and ran across this picture. Just thought I'd share it. Most know Mars is much smaller than Earth, and some know that Mars has a canyon colloquially called the "Grand Canyon" (formerly known as Valles Marineris). Here is a picture of Valles...

Earth and Mars [ 3 Answers ]

If Earth were about the mass of Mars, but remained in the same orbitit is in today, what would the Earth be like today? :confused:

Mars [ 6 Answers ]

Google, in it's continuing attempt to map the known universe, has given us Google Mars. http://www.google.com/mars Anyone been to, or seen a picture of, America's Grand Canyon? At 500 miles long, up to 20 miles across and over a mile deep, it is quite impressive! Compare it to the Grand...

View more questions Search