Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    atticguy Posts: 36, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2006, 04:26 AM
    Plumber quote using pex, new supplies to attic
    Hello , back again.

After all the away time from country/project, I decided to ask a plumber for a quote on running the supplies for my new attic 1/2 bath. (tapping into lines in basement, running all the way up. The attic bath is adjacent to water wall) also, 1st floor bath water wall is opened up. He is asking for $700, and says it should take about one day. I do not doubt that pex is the way to go because of the crowding and access to the water wall from the basement (which is unfinished). My current supplies are galvanized and my water heater is nearby so I would tap into those lines rather easily.

My question is, how hard is pex to work with? i.e. connections/tools/etc. Could I save $500 here and do it myself?

I trust you guys, what are your thoughts?:confused:
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 7, 2006, 10:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by atticguy
    hello , back again.

after all the away time from country/project, I decided to ask a plumber for a quote on running the supplies for my new attic 1/2 bath. (tapping into lines in basement, running all the way up. the attic bath is adjacent to water wall) also, 1st floor bath water wall is opened up. he is asking for $700, and says it should take about one day. I do not doubt that pex is the way to go because of the crowding and access to the water wall from the basement (which is unfinished). My current supplies are galvanized and my water heater is nearby so I would tap into those lines rather easily.

my question is, how hard is pex to work with? ie connections/tools/etc. Could I save $500 here and do it myself?

I trust you guys, what are your thoughts?:confused:
    Hey Guy, Welcome back,

Although I've never piped a house with Pex I'm familiar with it. I consider Pex easier to work with then copper or galvanized and for a simple task of running supplies I would think about doing the job yourself. Check out Pex here; http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio.../rightNavHowTo
    Just make sure you take the new supplies off 3/4" mains so you won't cheat yourself on volume. Good luck, Tom
    sandy_swiss Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2010, 12:42 PM
    No doubt make sure you use 3/4 lines, to keep the volume. I think you can definitely save money and do the job yourself, but think it through don't start laying pipe until you have the exact plan. Don't guess. If not then consult a pro especially if you are looking for a NJ plumber, I used www.lauryheating.com and their techs did an awesome job too bad my husband couldn't save us money!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

School supplies and clothes [ 20 Answers ]

This question maybe should be in the education area, but there are some "emotional" aspects to it so I thought I'd post it here. My children will be in school very shortly. Two of mine are both starting school, and I'm also currently taking care of 2 nephews and a niece, who are also school age....

Sizing guide for pex supplies [ 5 Answers ]

hello again speedball, so I've decided to tackle my pex plumbing project myself and not shell out $700 to the "I know a guy" guy. From what I've read so far, sizing pex is the same as copper, but I value your input greatly. I am running supplies for an attic half bath. The total run for...

Low hotwater pressure, plumber wants $$ to fix, I think I can do it myself [ 35 Answers ]

I'm fairly handy but the whole gas/hot water thing intimidates me. I have a 10-12 year old Rheeem Ruud hotwater tank and my hot water be it hot - has horrible pressure from every faucet. The plumber wants at least $100 dollars to come fix it and said they know exactly what it is - and made...

Plumber Quit - Have to finish shower drain myself [ 11 Answers ]

This project is converting a garage into two bedrooms and a bathroom. I had the floor raised to match the house and the bathroom is all new plumbing. The problem I am having is what to do with the shower drain. The plumber obviously made the pipe extra tall for when the concrete was poured. I...

Power Supplies [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm going to be traveling in the caribean, I'd like to take my laptop and camcorder... does anyone know if I need to purchase a separate power regulator, or do the power supplies attached to most electronics take care of any powe surge or lack thereof Thank

View more questions Search