Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beachnut Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2008, 09:25 PM
    I would like to ask a question and not sure how to use this. I have niece who I fill is in a unstable home I have spoke with an attorney and I have been told I need more info to prove unfit . This child has been abused earlier in the relationship with her mother since she was an infant and my brother now has custody. Now he keeps her out all hours of the night and leaves her at a girlfriends house he has only known 2 months. The child has lost weight and when she visits with other family she screams and does not want to go with the father or girlfriend she is only 2 and does not talk well yet what should I do?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 25, 2008, 04:49 AM
    You posted your question as a ANSWER to someone else's question, you will not get answers like that. These do not work like blogs, pluse use "ask a about" buttom, not the answer button to ask a new question. If you are going to give follow up, use the answer.
    Worried Auntie Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Aug 7, 2008, 12:48 PM
    If I were you I would start a journal. If you get any time with the child at all, alone of course. Weigh her. Make note of any bruises. Sleep patterns etc. when you do have her. If you do not have some kind of real proof that the child is neglected you will not win in court. I'm not saying that all judges will take this as evidence but some will. If possible you could video tape too. Make note of anytime you see her out at all hours or left with the girlfriend. The only problem I see with that is that they can not say he can't leave her with someone else as long as she is taken care of while she's there.
    I have the same problem with my niece. I do not think that she is well taken care of. Left at others house for days at a time without a phone call or anything. She is feed and such but there are a lot of other factors there as well. We have no custodial rights but we do have a start she lives with us and we have a notarized paper saying that we can take her to the doctor and put her in school etc.
    Sorry I couldn't be of more help but I am going through the same thing myself.
    bluejeangal Posts: 24, Reputation: 2

Aug 9, 2008, 12:13 PM
    Also take pictures that are date stamped and if possible motion picture with child, but please make sure the child is not in a nude condition, as it can back fire, and they can say you are taking picture of sexual content.

If you feel she is in danger, contact family abuse at Dept. of Family Services and they will do a investigation.

They can not tell who made the request, so don't go telling anyone if you do, so you don't start a family feud.

Good Luck!
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2008, 06:13 PM
    Yep you need to start keeping a journal documenting every single thing that happens as it happens, dates, times, pictures, anything you can. Otherwise it is all hearsay and opinion and if you report it they will investigate but if he is good at it he will have the workers convinced he is daddy of the year and they will close the case stating 'unfounded'

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to do what is best for my niece [ 8 Answers ]

Here is the situation. I have a niece (brother's daughter) who will be 6 in April, she is a very bright little girl. Neither of her parents have really been in her life unless it did something to benefit them. I was 15 years old when she was born and for the first year and a half of her life took...

Trying to do what is best for my niece [ 3 Answers ]

Here is the situation. I have a niece (brother's daughter) who will be 6 in April, she is a very bright little girl. Neither of her parents have really been in her life unless it did something to benefit them. I was 15 years old when she was born and for the first year and a half of her life took...

NEED Eviction of my niece - NJ [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I live with my mother who is 96 and my niece also lives with my mother for the past 5 years - I am in need of knowing my mothers rights of getting my niece out of the house - she does not pay rent and she is just destroying my mothers house with her cats and does not help out at all- I moved...

Niece vs. Her mom [ 1 Answers ]

My 17 y/o niece (Akron, Ohio) turns 18 in 10 days (10/1) & plans to move out on her own at that time. Her alcoholic mom caught her smoking marijuana w/a friend the other night (this is absolutely NOT a habit). In a last-ditch attempt to control her daughter, mom set up a meeting on Thursday to...

View more questions Search