Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hypatia Posts: 163, Reputation: 27

Apr 6, 2006, 11:49 PM
    Diamond dogfood recall WARNING!
    PERMISSION TO CROSSPOST FAR AND WIDE
    Subject: DIAMOND
    Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 10:23:45 EST

You may think the Diamond food scare is over, or that only a limited amount of product is involved. Not so.

On Monday, March 6 - after 3 feedings of Diamond's Premium Edge Chicken, Rice and Vegetables - we almost lost 3 of our 4 GSDs. The only reason it didn't effect the 16 week old is because we kept her on other feed. Within 20 minutes of ingesting their dinner, 2 of the dogs proceeded to
    Vomit dark green undigested food and within another 2 minutes they were foaming at the mouth and stiff-leg gaiting. Another 5 minutes and they were having what I - as a nurse - would refer to as petit mal seizures. After a traumatic night at the local emergency clinic, the diagnosis was "food intoxication from Premium Edge kibble".

The following day, upon contacting Diamond in Meta, Missouri, I was assured they would work with me in this and stand behind their product... the reimbursement for any and all vet care, etc was also Discussed. Upon asking for financial assistance for a test Diamond requested at Cornell ($300.00/dog minimum) - a test that per my vet and
    Those at Cornell said was a CYA call on Diamond's part - they changed their mind on "helping out". I refused that particular test, awaiting results from another analysis on samples.

Notification came yesterday from University of Missouri Vet Met Diagnostic Lab: "Each of the four submitted samples of dog food contained approximately 0.5 ppm of vomitoxin, as detected by thin layer chromotography...".

Judging from no reference to this on Premium Edge's website (incredible how many products Diamond makes but very difficult to trace back to them - each feed/product seems to have it's own website/ contact), no contact as of yet from Diamond and certainly no "standing behind" their
    Product it appears they are not overly concerned about their consumers.

Research your food thoroughly. If it is even remotely related to Diamond - DO NOT FEED! If you are so inclined, please write concerns to Diamond - you can reference me if so desired. My particular contact was Dr. Brookshire, Director of Veterinary Services.

Christine Buff
    Sr. K9 Handler/Trainer, Highland SAR
    Member, Rescue International
    K9 Director, New York State Federation of SAR

The Sheltie Rescue List
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2006, 03:02 AM
    Here are more details from my favorite potential Urban Legend verification site, snopes.com:

http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/diamond.asp

... ok, I admit it. It did sound like UL, so I went right to snopes. Thanks for sharing the info, Hypatia!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2006, 03:51 AM
    Hi, Hypatia,
    I, too, wish to say "thank you" for the information.
    I live in VA, not that far from SC, where I think, Diamond Dog Food is located.
    After the information came out a few months ago, hit all the National Network News Associations, I thought to myself then; "Don't buy this stuff, regardless of where you live".
    Thanks again for the information.
    Hypatia Posts: 163, Reputation: 27

May 1, 2006, 10:44 PM
    Fred I am also in VA, Page Valley to be exact. I just hate to think of the lives lost due to some screwed up error. It makes me wanna kick some corp a$$.

Hypatia
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

May 2, 2006, 04:44 AM
    HI,
    It's just not dog food that is at risk. Latest CNN Network News now reporting that lettuce may be causing people to be sick!
    One never knows.
    I am in SouthWest VA, in the Appalachain Mountains. Have a great week.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

I do not know what to do... PLEASE HELP... (warning this is complicated) [ 14 Answers ]

OK, so I am very new to the whole "relationship" scene, I am 20 yrs old and just lost my virginity a month ago. I am a late bloomer yes, but I honestly wanted to wait to do the deed with someone I deeply cared about, and I can honestly say that I was falling in love with the girl I was with. The...

Miranda Warning [ 3 Answers ]

Do you believe use of the Miranda warning has increased or decreased the number of confessions obtained in criminal cases

Diamond Pet food recall [ 5 Answers ]

This is either legit or a very well done hoax, http://www.diamondpetrecall.com/ Ran this through both Hoaxbusters and Urban Legends. Neither confirmed or denied it. It seems to me I have seen some good comments on Diamond. One advantage of Pro Plan, I am sure a recall would be big news.

Warning - scary url sponsor [ 1 Answers ]

When I opened the Religion page today, at the top left is a link to "Disturbing Horoscope warning: very freaky scary" While I donot believe in or check my horoscope, I wondered what couold be scary about one, so I clicked on. That took me to a page that required birth details and also...

Dropped diamond earring [ 2 Answers ]

My daughter dropped her diamond earring down the drain. I assume it is caught in the trap but have found that the trap does not have the hand tightened connectors. Instead, it is a solid piece which is connected into another piece which has a purple paint-like substance on it on both ends. I...

View more questions Search