Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mettle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2006, 11:35 PM
    OPT to H1B - Employer not deducting FICA
    Hi ATE,

The date on my opt is from May 2005 to May 2006. But meanwhile my H1B petition got approved starting 1st Nov 2005. But my employer who filed for my H1B was not deducting social security and medicare taxes till January. When I noticed, I asked him about this and he said it is a technicality and it is up to me whether to avail the benefits of OPT till May 2006 or not. If I want then my employer would start deducting social security and medicare taxes which would mean I have accepted H1B status. And no one can legally force me to accept H1B status unless I my opt is over. I did not know what to do but then I asked him to start deducting from month of February. Now my question is what tax form I should file for 2005. And should I be paying social security medicare taxes for month of nov and December or not. I am totally confused as to what should be done. I don't want to get into any trouble for this.

I would really appreciate advise in this case.

Regards,
    Mettle.
    vaya Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2006, 06:07 PM
    Federal income tax returns have very little to nothing to do with social security and medicare taxes. Your visa/immigration status does not depend on social security or medicare taxes. Paying SS tax does not indicate that you have "accepted" H1B (in fact, you have no option but to be in H1B status because your old OPT and F1 terminated once you got your H1B, so yes, you were forced into your new H1B status).
    You do not have to pay any SS or medicare taxes. It's employer's responsibility to make sure they properly deduct required amounts.
    SS and medicare taxes do not affect what form you need to use.

In short, SS taxes and medicare are not that important as you think.

Vaya
    mettle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2006, 07:51 PM
    Hi vaya,

Thanks a lot for your quick response. That helps me a lot.
    So this means I should stop worrying that I will be hold liable for not paying ss and medicare taxes and file the taxes using regular forms (1040NR EZ) I guess.

Thanks
    Mettle
    vaya Posts: 55, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2006, 04:50 AM
    You are not liable for those taxes, but I am not quite sure which form you need to use. Please read the very first thread in this forum for people who have changed their visas from f-1 to H1/H1B.

Vaya
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 9, 2006, 07:17 AM
    Mettle:

Yes, stop worrying about the SS and Medicare taxes.

You can file Form 1040NR or Form 1040NR-EZ if you want to file immediately. Assuming you are from India, you can claim a standard deduction of $5,000 and a personal exemption of $3,200 filing as a resident alien.

If you are NOT from India, then you cannot claim the standard deduction, which means it may make sense for you to wait until late June to qualify to file as a resident alien (in order to claim the standard deduction of $5,000) under First Year Choice.
    positive4ever Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 9, 2010, 01:46 PM
    I am in a similar situation: I got my H1-b in Oct, and my employer only started deducting SS and Medicare taxes in Jan 2010. Is this normal procedure? Do I have the obligation to inform my employer?
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 29, 2010, 10:37 AM
    You were liable for FICA (Social Security and Medicare) taxes the day you started your H-1B visa.

You have the legal obligation to notify yor employer of this fact; do so in writing (email is good for this).

Once that notification is done, it is up to your employer to correct the mistake. You need do nothing else.
    Erplus1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2013, 10:30 AM
    Is there an exception that allows a worker to be exempt from FICA tax if he/she works under the H-1B status for less than 90 days during the year? The employee converted from directly F-1 to H-1B status.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jun 20, 2013, 10:48 AM
    Sorry, no exceptions that I know of.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I need to pay the FICA Tax? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi,Expert: I am a J-1 holder from China and doing Postdoctoral researcher associate in a University in USA now. I arrived USA in Oct. 2004. I found in my first month payroll of 2006,there is FICA tax has been withheld. Normally there are two years for all J-1 visa holders have Taxes exemption....

Deducting some closing costs from taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. Nine months ago we bought a house. We are first time home buyers. I am itemizing deductions. My question is can we claim TITLE INSURANCE, MUNICIPAL LIEN CERTIFICATE, RECORDING FEES, SURVEY OBTAIN/REVIEW SURVEY, RECORDING FEES DEED (which are part of closing costs) from our taxes. Thanks for...

Fica tax on opt [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Right now I am on OPT(started on Jan1st,2006) and am working for an university. I noticed that on my payroll I have been charged for FICA. When I called up our university tax office, their explanation was that since I am here in the US for more than 5 years-they considered me as a Resident....

J1 Fica [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am on a J1 since Nov 2003. For 2003, I filed Non-resident alien and for 2004 I filed Resident alien taxes. But the whole of 2005, my Employer deducted FICA from my paycheck. In Sep 2005 I changed the Employer who will give me a 5 year J1. They don't deduct my FICA but only the Federal &...

Deducting a worthless stock [ 1 Answers ]

A stock I bought about 3 years ago is now worthless. I can't sell, it has no value. How can I claim this loss? Can I simply use Schedule D? Or is there something else I have to do?

View more questions Search