Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    se7venthings Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2008, 11:17 PM
    Taking a break. Being selfish?
    So me and my boyfriend have been dating for ten months we have been fighting a lot lately about different things each others friends family and the fact he works out of town. So he is gone five days a week. The job is over in December but I don't know if I can wait then to become more of a priority and seeing him more often.

First. Can someone tell me if it is selfish of me to want a break
    Second. Do breaks mean forever cause that is what he seems to think

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT YOU THINK:confused:
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 12:52 AM
    Well, technically, I'm still on a break with an old boyfriend, from 5 years ago... and I've had another very serious boyfriend for the last 3, so you make up your own mind about what a break means..

And, if you want more of his time, attention, and affection, I would say that a break is not going to help you, it will only give you room to stray and seek attention elsewhere, and he will only get sad, angry, bitter, and resentful, and will probably seek out a more appreciate partner.

Overall, though, if you're thinking about a break, then you probably haven't give your whole heart to this relationship and should probably just flat out break it off.

Sorry if I seem harsh, but that's honestly the only thing I can say and be telling the truth, in my opinion.
    JBeaucaire Posts: 5,426, Reputation: 997
    Software Expert

Jul 25, 2008, 01:14 AM
    I think "breaks" and "Breakups" are effectively the same thing. They sound different because they come from different places. But the result is mostly the same.

It's like debating over a "bath" or a "shower"... either way you get wet.

Once you are "on break", you're both technically single and anything can and will happen. And it's perfectly fine if it does, and it is WAY more likely TO HAPPEN.

No, you're not wrong to want a break. You want it because you have already subliminally decided this isn't really working and you'd like to relax and stretch your legs a bit without feeling beholden to him. You're life wants to move on but your familiarity to him is making it difficult. You're resisting.

Resistance is futile. If your relationship is waning (sounds like it) you can take a deep breath and just admit it.
    Kevin_s Posts: 213, Reputation: 51

Jul 25, 2008, 03:38 AM
    I would have to disagree to an extent that breaks and breakups are the same. If it's coming from you just needing some space, feeling pressured, etc. and needing just some time to think something over, evaluate where you're at then it's not necessarily forever.

However! This can turn into a full on break, but you shouldn't string this person along until you make up your mind. Are you dependent on the relationship so much that not seeing him as much for the next 5 months is going to kill you?

I had a similar situation, I used to work in town where my girlfriend and I live, and she would come and hang out with me while I was working (supervisor at a local Starbucks.) As soon as I got a new job with a 30 minute commute + conflicting college class schedules we started seeing each other less and less and though she was not happy that she couldn't see me as much, she understands that my new job is far more lucrative for me both in experience and in wages and that I'm doing what I need to to better my life.

This week I've literally seen my girl for about... 10 minutes before I left for work. That's from Last Sunday until today, she's going to visit her Family 3 hours away for the weekend, and if she comes back on Monday, I basically have a slim chance of seeing her until next weekend.

Also, her cell phone is broken so she has no real means of contacting me, so any chance I get to talk to her on the phone I try to do so.

You need to be a bit more supportive of where he's at, because I guarantee that it's not easy on him to not see you as much as he'd like to. But at the end of the day, you should know that he wants to come home to you and not some other person.
    happy_jester Posts: 170, Reputation: 29

Jul 25, 2008, 04:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin_s
    If it's coming from you just needing some space, feeling pressured, and needing just some time to think something over
    It happens to a lot of relationships.......the need for "a wee bit of breathing space."

So me and my boyfriend have been dating for ten months we have been fighting a lot lately about diffrent things each others friends family
    However...... as this relationship has only lasted 10 months,with you even fighting a
    lot about each other's family (instead of getting their support,you're pushing them
    away :eek:) then it looks like you,BOTH have a LOT of work to do if this
    relationship is to survive.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 25, 2008, 04:51 AM
    Well he is gone for 5 days a week, so you have a break every week, and a couple normally don't fight all the time. He can not change his job at this point, but it sounds like you are looking to find someone else and moving on,
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 05:16 AM
    I agree with FR_chuck, you seem to want a reason to move on because he can't be around you all the time. This is his job, his career and more important his way of taking care of himself.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 26, 2008, 09:27 AM
    As a working guy, it would seem a bit selfish, and needy, to want more time given the situation, but long distance relationships often magnify those feelings, and for that reason are hard to maintain. If you want more of his time, then you'll have to make up the distance.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 26, 2008, 09:51 AM
    If you can not handle a guy whose job requirement is to be away then most likely you should break up with him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Taking a break? [ 64 Answers ]

All right, my girlfriend calls me one night, she sounds odd.. I ask her what's wrong and she says she's confused.. anyway, she goes on to tell me about all the stress on her, and the stress within her family, she then goes to tell me that we should take a break. I asked if she thought we would get...

Taking a break [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend recently asked that we take a break. He tells me that he still wants to talk to me and be friends and hang out. But the only time he talks to me is if I talk to him first. We've been on a break for a week now and sometimes I feel like it's awkward when we talk. How can I get past this...

Taking a break [ 4 Answers ]

Is it normal to not talk to your ex while on a break?

Taking a break [ 1 Answers ]

I am 5 and a half months pregnant and I wrote earlier about how my boyfriend and I constantly fight and we haven't seen each other much lately like 1 time in the past month and now he is telling me that we need sometime apart from being boyfriend and girlfriend. I don't think that will help. I...

Taking a break [ 13 Answers ]

Hey everyone just to let you know, so you don't wonder where I've gone, I'm taking a few days' break from the site. I injured my back and I am having trouble sitting for long periods. I was on for a little while yesterday and also today, but I'm even finding typing difficult after a few minutes. I...

View more questions Search