Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sunflower1412 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2008, 12:39 PM
    Landlord wants to change terms and I have lived here for a year
    I received a new lease agreement from landlord (which he didn't even sign btw). There are many changes to the original lease I signed for example: landlord isn't responsible now for repairs of appliances that were originally included in the rental, also he wants me to pay for municipal sewer when it was included from the original rental agreement. Plus he raised the rent 17% from my current rent (there are no municipal restrictions), but I feel that is unreasonable. Is he allowed to do this?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 24, 2008, 12:42 PM
    Yes he is. Your lease has expired and now he wants a new one. He has the right to request changes in terms just as you have the right to make your own requests. If you both don't agree on a new lease, you become a month to month tenant and can have your tenant terminated with one month's notice (less in some areas).
    sunflower1412 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2008, 12:51 PM
    The new lease is going to be month-to-month already. If I agreed to the initial rental and it was through a real-estate agent and I have the original listing that states what he included such as : dishwasher, refrigerator, washer and dryer, sewer etc... then how can he change initial terms if I have already been here a year?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 24, 2008, 04:45 PM
    Because the lease expired. A lease is a contract for a specified term. Once that term expires, the contract is ended and can either be terminated, renewed or renegotiated. You don't have to agree to those terms and he can then decide to drop the changes or tell you to vacate.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 08:20 PM
    Yes he can change it, with or without your approval actually if he is OK with a verbal rental, Once your original lese expires, ( runs its term) they can change it to what they want, you can agree to move out basically.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 01:04 AM
    Yes, but you don't have to agree, you can tel him that you're not interested in renewing the lease and that you will be out by the end of the month.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a landlord just change the locks? [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Massachusetts and have a sticky situation and hope someone can help. We moved into a house on Nov 27 2007 and both myself and wife signed a lease with a stipulation in writing that in 6 months (it was a 6 month lease) the house would be put up for sale. The landlord said he would make a...

Lived in PA 9 months work in DE full year 2007 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Dee here, looking for help. Thanks I Lived in PA for 9 months out of 2007 and worked in DE for the full year. Then I moved to DE. I received 2 w2 forms one for PA and one for DE, but the taxes were taken out of DE but none were taken our of PA. Were taxes supposed to come out for...

Which state do I pay taxes to? (lived in each exactly half a year) [ 1 Answers ]

I moved from Texas to California last year and arrived in CA on July 1st. I didn't bother to get my CA driver's license for several months, but did establish residency on that date. Since Texas has no income tax, of course, I'd like to say that it was my state of residency last year, since it...

I've lived with my boyfriend 1 year, how long do I have until I have to move? [ 1 Answers ]

I've lived with my boyfriend in Oregon, for over one year now. We agreed I'd be responsible for buying groceries and some household items, and for house cleaning. He would continue to pay the bills and his mortgage (it is his home). We no longer get along, and I'm looking for a place to move. ...

View more questions Search