Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kristen0817 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2006, 12:47 PM
    Sewage smell from basement bathroom
    We bought our house a year ago. The basement was already finshed. In the basement bathroom there is a drain in the floor that would give off a sulphur smell. We would dump water down the drain every other day but the smell really never went completely away. About a month ago I noticed a sewage smell coming from underneith the wall of the laundry room that is shared with the bathroom wall. Around this time I noticed the drain in the bathroom did not smell as strong. The smell is very strong at times in our laundry room. It is there everyday. It sometimes can even be faintly smelled in the stairway above the laundry room. About a week ago my brother in law capped up the drain in the bathroom, hoping that it would take care of the smell. The bathrom no longer smells, but the laundry room smells where the floor of the bathroom meets it. I called rotorooter, but they seemed to think that just flushing our system would not solve an odor problem when we have no clogged drains or apparent leaks. We use all of our sinks washer, toilet and shower in the basement, so nothing is just sitting unused. Any suggestions?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 8, 2006, 07:23 AM
    About all I can suggest is to pour bleach down the offending drains and let it set over night. Next morning flush out the lines with boiling water. Smells and weird noises are almost impossible to track down unless you're there to do it. Good luck, Tom
    kilted10r Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2011, 07:49 PM
    If any of the drains are inside the dividing wall, you may have a loose connection, or even a nail or screw driven right through the pipe. All it takes is one inattentive drywall guy to cause a problem.

If all the lines go under the floor, the same may be true. A framing nail or screw can do pretty good damage - especially if the nail is shot in with compressed air or gunpowder.

It's possible that the pipe wasn't installed with the proper pitch, and that not all of the waste water is draining away. Or there may be a partial blockage in the line, keeping some waste in place. Or there may be a clogged (or absent, or broken) vent pipe just leaking sewer gasses.

I'm a big fan of bacterial drain cleaners. I like the Roebic's brand, but there are others available - just look for one with LIVE bacteria. Basically, the bacteria settle in and eat all the old grease, hair, soap scum, etc. and open up the drains.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewage smell in bathroom - feels like we've tried everything [ 2 Answers ]

I've read through several of the posts on this site and have done numerous searches across the Internet. So far, no luck... About a week ago we noticed a strong sewage smell coming from the toilet in our powder room. After cleaning the bowl with bleach (thinking it was bacteria), the smell was...

Sewage smell in bathroom [ 9 Answers ]

:eek: Our main bathroom off the master bedroom has a sewage smell coming from the shower. The drain is not clogged, the toilet and sink are fine. No smell from the sink or toilet, seems to be from the shower only. Our house is on septic system and drainfield. No soggy grass around the drainfield...

Sewage smell under house near bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

My house has base floors, and there is a bad sewage smell reaking near one of our bathrooms. I checked for leaks even crawled under the house and nothing. Even checked the P-trap to make sure it was full. The smell comes and goes but is most common around hot weather. 2 plumbers have already...

Sewage smell in bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

We have one bathroom in our house used by 4 people. Every once in a while, there is a strong sewage smell. It is intermittent, there is no certain time that it is present. I cannot pinpoint it to a certain drain or area in the bathroom. When the heat comes on, it is VERY strong when it is present...

Sewage Smell from Bathroom? (Maybe floor?) [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, The building I live in is a two story, stick built duplex supported with steel under frame resting on concrete pilings. Due to the area I live in we have our water and sewage trucked in and out every two days. The water tank is indoors and the sewage take is buried beneath...

View more questions Search