Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    landowner1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Repairs to rental who is responsible?
    I own a rental home and it s my first experience with renting it out. My question is, if the tenant breaks something like the sink's drain or a cabinet's hinge is that something I should fix or should they be charged for the damage?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 24, 2008, 11:48 AM
    If you can prove that the tenant caused damage by misuse, you can charge them for the repairs. But normal wear and tear would be your responsibility.

For example, if they broke a drain in an attemtp to repair it, they would be liable. However, if they reported a problem with the drain and it was due to normal wear and tear, you would have to foot the bill.
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2008, 03:05 PM
    Hi! Welcome to this board, and welcome to landlordship! My husband and I have been in property investing - primarily rentals - for about 15 years. We thoroughly enjoy it!

I just want to strongly urge you to start doing your homework. There are tons of resources available on-line. (The Law -Real Estate forum on this website has a TON of useful info. Just scroll back through old posts.) Your local book stores should also have some books available specific to landlording in your state. Things can vary GREATLY from state to state, so make sure that wherever you're getting your information from, it's pertanant to your location.

One of the BEST things I've ever done was to join my local apartment association. It's a regional group that serves property owners who have from 1 unit all the way to owners of huge apartment complexes. The biggest thing that did for me was enable me to use the Texas Apartment Association lease. Having a really strong lease will be your greatest asset as you navigate through the trials and errors of being a landlord.

Best of luck!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 25, 2008, 07:28 PM
    Ok, if this is your first rental, do you know the rental laws, do you have forms to use if ( and when) they are late paying, do you have eviction forms that you are ready to give them, do you know which local court does the evictions..

Is this a written lease or a written rental or a verbal rental.

The matters of normal wear and tear is your issues to deal with, a hinge could be either. The wholes in the walls will be theirs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rental repairs [ 1 Answers ]

My fiancé, son, and I have been renting a house for about a year and a half and have a verbal lease/agreement with our landlords who happen to own the business right next to our house. I was wondering if they were responsible for repairs that need to be done to the house. I have asked them numerous...

Rent raised after repairs made in rental [ 2 Answers ]

Our landlord recently had to replace the heating/cooling system when the old (1969!) one failed. Now they want to increase our rent. My understanding is that in CA a landlord cannot increase one's rent within 6 months of doing any kind of necessary repairs to the property. Is this true? ...

Rental repairs [ 8 Answers ]

My 90-year-old mother lives in a rental house in Lee County. The landlord does very little to maintain the house and now the roof is leaking badly. He has just told her that he does not intend to repair it, and if it "comes down," she will have to move out. He told her that he got an estimate for...

Tax deductions-repairs rental property [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a condo with I rent out. My last tenant moved out in December 2006, and in 2007 I spent about $20k repairing the condo. Is there a dollar limit which can be deducted on Schedule e for these repairs?

Rental Property Repairs. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I'm curious if anybody knows what the law in Alabama is or if you can direct me to the right people to call to find out what the rule is about repairs and the increased bills due to it. Example; We had a water leak that we noticed a couple months ago. We attempted to contact our...

View more questions Search