Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 07:35 AM
    Why so flipping early?
    I just have to know...

From those of you who work in construction, especially building construction:

Is there some unwritten rule somewhere that you have to do the loudest things you're going to do all day as early as possible in the morning?

Seriously--they're building a Performing Arts Center across the street from my house, and every morning for the last 2 weeks, the loudest construction all day has been at 7 AM.

Unlike a lot of the working world, I don't work until 9 AM, and have a 10 minute commute---so I don't get up until almost 8. I feel like I'm being rudely awoken an hour early every morning, and frankly, I'm not a morning person to begin with.

So... why is all the loud stuff early? When I've been home during the day, I don't even hear that much construction the rest of the day!
    CFZD Posts: 385, Reputation: 49

Jul 24, 2008, 07:37 AM
    It is not that hot in the early morning and late in the afternoon they can go home earlier avoiding the heavy traffic.

I am sorry for you, hope they finish soon.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 07:37 AM
    They happily enjoy waking you up. No, seriously, it could be that they have rented the equipment that makes this racket and need to finish the job early and take the stuff back to the rental place. They could also be making more racket due to the foreman or boss is there and they need to look busy. Also, due to the weather and the heat and humidity they like to do the heavy duty stuff early in the day and do the lighter non racket stuff later. Sometimes depending on where the job is the guys will start at 6AM to get a head start on the day. Would you like to do manual labor in a sauna?
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 07:38 AM
    Can't say for sure, but if I was the construction worker, I would want to get the hardest stuff done, as early as possible, before the real heat of the day arrives.

It is just a guess, I really have no idea!
    Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 09:11 AM
    I get the whole "get it done before the heat of the day thing", but honestly--an hour difference in when you get the jackhammer out couldn't make THAT much of a difference.

I'm just frustrated with constantly losing sleep.

I wish I knew where their foreman lived, so I could go blare my radio outside his window at 10:30 PM.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 09:40 AM
    Relax Syn, it should be over soon and you can get all the sleep you want when the project is completed. Just think of what's going to be in the Performing Arts Center and all the things there you can partake of shortly.
    Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 10:03 AM
    LOL... we're moving as soon as we can.

Once the project is finished, parking will be impossible, and while it will be neat to have the PAC there, when it is finished, a lot of the things we were able to watch from our windows down in the park will no longer be outside :)

So actually, we're losing out because of the Center being built, though it's good for our city overall.
    amricca Posts: 851, Reputation: 92

Jul 24, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Some cites and developments have a rule about what time they can start making noise, mine condo complex does not allow it before 9:00 am. You could check to see if anything like that exists in your area.

I do agree with everyone here though, it is much cooler to use a heavy and hot piece of equipment early in the day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Keep flipping breaker [ 5 Answers ]

I have run new wire from one outlet to a switch to another outlet, for some reason while the switch is on everything works fine, when I switch it off it throws the breaker. I am running the switch to operate a garbage disposal so I can't very well leave it running all the time. Starting to get...

Habitual Hair Flipping [ 2 Answers ]

There is no correct place to ask this question, so I apologize if it is off-topic. Can habitual hair flipping lead to brain damage? (A Hair Flip, in this case, is a quick motion of the head to move the hair that has fallen in front of the face, to the side again.)

Probability of flipping a coin. [ 1 Answers ]

What is the probability of flipping 5 coins and getting all heads or all tails?

Flipping houses [ 1 Answers ]

Do you need a real estate license to flip houses?

Cover art flipping the next finger [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone ever seen a cd with cover showing a guy sticking up his ring finger instead of his middle? If so please tell me the name of the band.

View more questions Search