Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    questiongirl27 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 07:29 PM
    How did you scream when giving birth?
    Im interested in the different ways mothers express their pain. So, this is the place to share what sounds you made when giving birth! :p
    Thanks!
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 23, 2008, 07:34 PM
    When in labor, during delivery, you DON'T scream. While some women do, it actually makes the delivery harder. Best thing is to hold your chin to your chest, hold your breath and push. When you scream it actually sucks the baby back up by centimeters and can make delivery much harder and longer.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 10:07 AM
    When women are allowed to give birth without direction, many will initially hold their breath, bare down, and grunt or moan baby out... very similar to having a difficult bowel movement. Holding the breath too long, known as valsalva pushing, can put some mothers and babies at risk due to decreased oxygen... we tell fathers and partners to watch for purple pushing (where mothers exert so much energy in their faces from straining they will turn color) because this type of pushing does not provide oxygen well to mother, baby, and uterus... and many women find they actually break little blood vessels in their eyes and face.
    During labor as well, many women will moan or groan during a contraction. It is very individual... some turn inward and are quite quiet, others find making noise to be helpful. Trusting in the body to do what it was designed to do, moving into a more instinctual process and less thinking mode, most women will innately give birth in a way that works best for them.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 10:26 AM
    I didn't scream the nurse screamed (and screamed and screamed and screamed) at me
    When my ex got there an hour later she was still screaming at me and he yelled at her for screaming at me then the dr came in and screamed at him for screaming at her. Then found out they were husband and wife.

Why was she screaming at me?
    Because I was saying eowoh and off a breath instead of the proper breathing technique

Just my personal experience and sure it is totally not common experience of any body else
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 10:48 AM
    >>>>>Why was she screaming at me?
    >>>>>Because I was saying eowoh and off a breath instead of the proper breathing technique

Sorry to hear you were screamed at in labor... very sad indeed. I once was at a birth were a doctor actually told the mother to "shut up" because she thought the mother was making too much noise!
    There is a difference between helpful noise and out of control noise. I can remember when nurses would get after mothers if they made noise because they said they were letting go of all of their breath and wouldn't be able to sustain a push that way. For some women, making noise is actually very beneficial. Hold back in one area, you often are holding back throughout your body. Not what you want in birth.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 07:36 PM
    Very sad indeed. Yet, we have women, like I had today, that scream and scream, loud enough for the entire floor to hear when we do a SVE (Sterile Vaginal Exam) to find out how far they have dilated. Then the clamp their legs together, bite us (yes, I have bite marks on my left forearm), and refuse to listen to the nurses and the doctors who are only trying to help.

I had a section today because the woman refused to breathe properly, she was retaining CO2 and the baby's heart rate decel'd, and Mom refused pain meds.

Making noise, a certain amount, can be beneficial, but it is only for the experienced birth mother as the noise process can actually "suck" the baby back up in the vaginal canal if not controlled properly.
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 07:43 PM
    I know when female doctors would check to see how much I had dilated that hurt like they were trying to hurt to take something out on you. I dreaded when a female nurse came near me when I knew that was next on the agenda.
    bekah876 Posts: 445, Reputation: 38

Jul 25, 2008, 05:04 PM
    I always thought labor and deliver would be like what is on TV and boy was I wrong. To me TV made it out to be worse then it really is, but I did have an easy delivery. When I had contractions I got really quiet and concentrated on my breathing, no yelling, no screaming. To me the screaming would only make it worse. Once the epidural came I was in heaven... nothing after that hurt at all. I love epidurals!
    NowWhat Posts: 1,634, Reputation: 264
    Ultra Member

Jul 26, 2008, 07:36 AM
    I think I screamed loud enough for the whole floor to hear me. My husband said I wasn't that bad. My memory, for whatever reason, is skewed. I remember lots of nurses coming in and I got freaked out because I thought something was wrong. My husband says that there was never more than three people in the room. So who knows!

My daughter got stuck in the birth canal and we had to do an emergency c-section. When I got to the operating room, I had an anxiety attack and they had to put me out! I could not calm myself down. I had been up for 36 hours, fatigue had set in, I was terrified that something was wrong with the baby, etc, etc...

It all worked out...

I actually apologized to all the nurses and doctors when I woke up because I was so embarrassed!
    melissa1978 Posts: 39, Reputation: 5

Jul 27, 2008, 07:48 AM
    I think that grunting is beneficial, like grunting when you are constipated! I told the nurses and my husband that if they counted I would kill them. I just thought I would find it irritating. If a laboring woman can remain somewhat in control, and not let fear take over, her body will tell her when to push. At least, that's been my experience. I don't know with an epidural though, maybe the pushing sensations are not as strong. But I believe that the "fear factor" can dictate how the labor and delivery will go in many cases. Fear will make the pain worse. It is a vicious cycle, that if a woman can remain at least partially on top of, her body will work more efficiently. Weird question BTW. I don't remember what noises I made. I was too busy to listen to myself, know what I mean? Lol
    TRUCKDRIVER0406 Posts: 16, Reputation: 4

Jul 27, 2008, 08:57 AM
    I didn't scream during the birth of any of my 5 children, I think I just have a high tolerance for pain. I don't advise doing this though because now my EX tells everyone that he doesn't believe it is that painful to have children because he was in the delivery room during the birth of the kids and I hardly complained.

My largest child was 9lbs. 15ozs. It was no picnic, and certainly had its degree of pain. I guess I was lucky with him I only had 4 hours of hard larbor then I pushed (and the Dr. pulled) him out.

To me the pain is bearable until just before you have to push. Twice I didn't ask for the epideral until I was already dialated to 9 and they told me that it was too late at that point because it wouldn't start working in time.

I think concentrating on it will make it worse.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jul 27, 2008, 09:06 AM
    I'm not pregnant or planning on getting pregnant soon, but how badly does an epidural actually hurt? I've heard its really painful.
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2008, 09:08 AM
    Leading up to my daughter's birth - I said that I was going to go natural. I thought I could handle the pain. I don't know why - I have LOW tolerance for it! :)

During our birthing classes they showed us a video of this woman that was so calm, almost in a trance. It was amazing. Then they showed us how to relax and control our breathing. I was so relaxed in those classes - but when my water broke... I think I panicked. There is really no other way to explain it. I wasn't due for two more weeks, I didn't have my bag ready (which caused me a lot of stress) and my mama wasn't there to calm me down. :)

2 epidurals later, a small surgery, I had the child I had waited a life time for.

They told me afterward that my body is made to have small babies. My genes are made to have big babies! So, if I were to have more kids, the largest I could get out on my own was (at most) 7.5 pounds. And then a certain head size.

I think the experience scared my husband. He says he never felt so helpless. So, we have never tried again.
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2008, 09:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    I'm not pregnant or planning on getting pregnant soon, but how badly does an epidural actually hurt? I've heard its really painful.
    I was TERRIFIED of the needle before hand. When you are in the middle of labor, you WELCOME that epidural.
    I doesn't hurt that bad. No more than a regular shot (in my opinion)
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 27, 2008, 09:12 AM
    I didn't really scream that much during my own birth... I did when that white-coated bastard slapped my butt.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2008, 01:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ChihuahuaMomma
    For most people it is the initial numbing injection you feel. Then they will ask if you feel a jolt or sensation as they are placing the actual needle that the catheter goes through (needle is removed/catheter is what stays in place) so that they can get center placement. Sometimes it can be off a bit to one side and a mother will be more numb on one side than the other... or she will get a blotchy effect of numbness. For some it never takes, even after a few tries.
    Most are happy with their epidural... some will have one with every child. Some don't care for it, or they have side effects and decide not to have one with any other births, and some choose not to ever have one to avoid any of the possible side effects.
    babygirl1092 Posts: 114, Reputation: 8
    -

Jul 27, 2008, 02:06 PM
    I didn't scream, I made a lot of grunting sounds, I just bit down on my teeth and squeesed my boyfriend hand and left deep bruses from my fake nails. But I was deathly afread of the needles so I screemed a lot getting my epurderal. And my little 7.5 lb baby came and she is beautiful, now I am horrified to have these girls but I am very excided to see them, I do think screaming will happen this time!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 27, 2008, 03:23 PM
    I Didn't scream but I wasn't happy when I heard it was to late for an epidural. I was told that my first child would take forever to come, well, they were wrong.

At one point I was in allot of pain, I asked the nurse if I was in hard labor, she said, nope, you've only been in labor for 4 1/2 hours, you're still in the beginning stages. At that point I looked at my husband and said I want an epidural, if this is only the beginning of labor, then I won't be able to handle hard labor. So the epidural was ordered, but the hospital was full so there would be a one hour delay.

I sat back and waited, got through every contraction by focusing on the upcoming epidural, knowing I wouldn't be in pain much longer. Around 45 minutes later I asked the nurse to unhook me from all the machines so I could go to the bathroom, she asked why, I said, why do you think, I had McDonalds for lunch, and I need to go to the bathroom. She said, first lets check you. When she did, lo and behold I was fully dilated, it wasn't the McDonalds after all, but an urge to push. I was just starting to push when the epidural guy entered the room. Too late. :)

My second, no problem, natural 3 hours of labor and 10 minutes of pushing. Screaming, no, but crying when I saw her face, yes. :)

My first was a boy, 8 pounds 2 1/2 ounces. Second, girl, 8 pounds 4 1/2 ounces. Both natural. :) You really do forget the pain as soon as you hold your baby in your arms.
    Uber Member

Jul 27, 2008, 06:15 PM
    Back labor is the very very worst pain in the world.
    Had it the whole last trimester with my first and then was in actual labor (back too) for over 40 hours.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 28, 2008, 12:41 PM
    Wow, NoHelp, I had back labor with my daughter, but it was only 3 hours, I can't imagine 40.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cat (soon to be giving birth) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I have a couple of questions about my pregnant cat . Well I don't exactly know when the time of her getting pregnant was, but I think she is getting really close to giving birth to her kittens. First of all I would like to know if taking their temperature is an accurate way of telling whe nthey...

Cat giving birth [ 1 Answers ]

My cat has been losing mucas for a couple of days now, do you know when she will start begin the second stage of labor - she has been having contractions.

Chihuahua giving birth [ 3 Answers ]

my chihuahua dog just gave birth to 5 puppies (2 were born dead) the last puppy that was born was alive but we couldnt get the placenta out of the mom.... what should i do????:confused:

Giving Birth [ 6 Answers ]

Does anyone know if there are any free videos to watch on internet of a woman giving birth? Want to know...

View more questions Search