Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BAMF Posts: 50, Reputation: 2

Jul 23, 2008, 11:22 AM
    Problems loading a DVD into Windows Movie Maker.
    I'm not sure if I'll be able to explain my situation clearly, but I'll try.
    I have a Hitachi DZ-MV550A and this is my first time using it. I finalized the DVD-R and loaded it into my computer. It comes up on the computer as DVD_CAMERA (E:), so that's not the problem. Now I want to edit the video so when I go to Windows Movie Maker I go to import video. But when I go to there it says "The file E:\DVDCAM\DVDCAM.IFO is not a supported file type, and it cannot be imported into Windows Movie Maker." Do I have to convert it or am I just importing it wrong. Help!
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 23, 2008, 12:43 PM
    Windows Movie Maker supports .asf, avi, m1v, mp2, mp2v, mpe, mpeg, mpg, mpv2, wm, and .wmv file formats. I'm not familiar with your camera model, but I doubt it writes directly to DVD discs in any of those formats. So, yes a conversion will probably be needed or the camera's save format adjusted. I also suspect your camera included software to extract footage from finalized discs and perform rudimentary editing and conversion. See your manual or Hitachi's support site.
    BAMF Posts: 50, Reputation: 2

Jul 23, 2008, 02:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros
    Windows Movie Maker supports .asf, .avi, .m1v, .mp2, .mp2v, .mpe, .mpeg, .mpg, .mpv2, .wm, and .wmv file formats. I'm not familiar with your camera model, but I doubt it writes directly to DVD discs in any of those formats. So, yes a conversion will probably be needed or the camera's save format adjusted. I also suspect your camera included software to extract footage from finalized discs and perform rudimentary editing and conversion. See your manual or Hitachi's support site.
    Thank you. But I have another question. How do you convert the DVD. Do you need a specific software? Also, I do not have the software because someone gave it to me because they never used it, so I just got the camera along with some cords.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Jul 24, 2008, 08:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by BAMF
    How do you convert the DVD. Do you need a specific software?
    Yes, see AfterDawn.com: Guides: How to play VOB / IFO / BUP files and below.

Quote Originally Posted by BAMF
    Also, I do not have the software because someone gave it to me because they never used it, so I just got the camera along with some cords.
    See Hitachi DVD Camcorder PC Software Support for software and DZ-MV550A manual. Note the manual link you may have to right-click and choose Save Target As or Save Link As to download the manual; directly clicking on it did not work for me resulting in a corrupt file message in Adobe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Windows Movie Maker [ 4 Answers ]

My windows movie maker shuts down every time I open it, an di just installed a trial of WIN DVD or something and that's when it stopped working, what should I do?

Windows Movie Maker [ 1 Answers ]

How do I delete or edit titles that I have put on clips?

Windows Movie Maker [ 3 Answers ]

It's simple - Windows Movie Maker doesn't work. It opens up, then immediately gives an error message and closes. I really need to use it so can anyone help? Thanks

Windows movie maker [ 1 Answers ]

Oookay so since my IE will not work It won't let me use windows movie maker. Can someone tell me something like windows movie maker that will work with Firefox also?

View more questions Search