Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    blessedmom Posts: 104, Reputation: 6

Jul 23, 2008, 08:03 AM
    Border Colli Shedding
    Hi, I have a 4 year old border colli. We love her a lot. Only had her for about 3 weeks. She is a inside dog but she sheds a lot. She is making our carpet look really bad. Is there anything we can do to cut down on the shedding?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 23, 2008, 09:24 AM
    Brush her on a regular basis.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 12:44 PM
    Some dogs shed throughout the year, but many shed most during the warmer months. I don't know about border collies, but a quick Google search could solve that.

Regular brushing will definitely help.
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jul 23, 2008, 12:58 PM
    I also have this problem with my husky and asked this question a few weeks ago. And I was suggested to buy a furminator brush. Having some money I was all for this idea after checking out the site. However after calling a pet store near my house I was informed that the price was 69.99 for a large, no you didn't read wrong and it ain't a typo, 69.99$ for a brush I thought this was ridiculous. Now I understand someone buying one if they really are fed up and if they have a lot of money. But if you don't have a lot of money I would suggest a fine toothed comb that would reach and pull out all the dead hairs. I find these work great. A daily brushing is needed and if this dog is indoors so is a daily sweeping or vacuming of your house. Good Luck.
    DBmtgprocessor Posts: 37, Reputation: 4

Jul 23, 2008, 03:21 PM
    Lots of brushing and the furminator works great, it's worth the price. By the way I only paid $50 for mine (large) so it depends on what pet supply store you buy it at. I have 4 golden retrievers so lots of fur in my house.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 09:55 PM
    And if you can buy one on eBay, they are even cheaper... down around $30, after the shipping charges.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jul 26, 2008, 04:15 PM
    Border Collies are a "double-coated" breed--they have a dense undercoat that serves as insulation against the weather in their native land, the border country between England and Scotland.
    I have never used a Furminator, though have heard really good things about them. An inexpensive alternative is an undercoat rake. It literally looks like a miniature rake with a single row of short metal teeth. You should be able to find them about anywhere; I have even seen them at Wal-Mart.
    To use a rake, push a handfull of hair forward and "rake" it a little at a time from underneath. This is tedious, but it works.
    I had one dog who did not mind being vacuumed, and that cut down on a lot of loose hair!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Shedding [ 6 Answers ]

It's that time of the year again, and my dog is shedding like crazy. I brush him everyday but it's like the hair is unending and even thouugh I sweep our house everyday the floors always have tumbleweeds of dog hair rolling a round. Does anyone know what else I can do other than brushing daily to...

More Shedding ?s [ 3 Answers ]

Along w/ the ferminator, which I use and love on my golden mix, how can I can get the hair that is all over out of my clothing and furniture. I know vacuming and brushing is good but after washing and drying it seems like the hair stays everywhere... anyone have any other helpful hints... I'm a...

Daschund shedding [ 3 Answers ]

Hope someone has some ideas. My 7 month little doxie ((Bratwurst) is shedding like crazy. We have him on good food. He does not have fleas. No skin problems. Does not itch a lot at all. Every time I pet him or pick him up his hair is all over me. Any ideas? Thanks, Vallaro

Why is he shedding [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 9 month old bichon/lhasa apsos I was told by the seller they don't shed grant you they might shed very very little anyway he started to shed hair 2 weeks ago and more than I thought he should would you know the reason for this and when I brush him there is hair all over my top I would...

Shedding Too Much [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Shep./Mastiff cross... Just over 1 year old. I was wondering if anyone knows how much this type of breed would shed. It seems like I am constantly brushing him. Just petting him a couple of times you will get a hand full of fur. I keep him outside because of all the fur he is losing ( I...

View more questions Search