Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mz2richard Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2006, 01:40 PM
    Ideal Tap Splices for Phone Wire
    Hello Group! Would anyone tell me how to use the name band Ideal Tap Splice #85-900? How do these differ from the butt splices? Any Help appreciated. I don't know squat about running phone lines.:o
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2006, 01:54 PM
    Ideal calls this an "Insulation Displacement Connector", therefore, all you should need to do is to insert the wire with insulation on it, not stripped, into a port hole.

You may need to tug on the wire back out a bit to insure the grips inside the connector pierce the insulation.

A traditional "butt splice" requires the wire insulation be stripped, and the shoulder of the but splice connector be crimped with a crimping tool.
    mz2richard Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2006, 03:06 PM
    Thank you again, TK! If I am using 3 Pair phone wire, Do I need to use six taps? One for each wire?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2006, 04:35 PM
    Yes. One for each color wire being spliced together.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Real vs ideal culture [ 4 Answers ]

Real culture vs ideal culture? Thanks

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

3-wire home, 3-wire fan, 2-wire remote [ 9 Answers ]

Greetings, My home is 3-wire. I bought a Hunter ceiling fan (model 23811). The fan came with a remote assy. That I do NOT want to use... The fan has standard 3-wire connections (black, white, blk&white strip, ground). The remote receiver home-side wiring looks to be for 2-wire (blk and white)....

Stolen phone - am I stuck with phone charges? [ 3 Answers ]

My cell phone was stolen recently and the guy who stole it called all over the place, adding about $175 in phone charges to our phone bill. I reported it stolen to Qwest, but they say the charges are still my responsibility. I am planning to refute the bill, but I don't know the correct...

Ideal Role / Future Career Aspirations [ 6 Answers ]

Ideal Role / Future Career Aspirations is one of the questions on the Candidate Registration form I have been given to fill out for tomorrow. I have no clue what to write at all.

View more questions Search