Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cowboy8 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2006, 01:13 PM
    Bathroom circuit
    I am putting a new bathroom in basement and want to know the correct wiring. I will be running a 20 amp circuit with a GFI outlet, vanity lighting, and a small exhaust fan. I want to run the fan and lights on their own switches. Can the GFI and others run off same circuit? If so how do I wire it all?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2006, 01:39 PM
    One 20 amp circuit can feed only one bathroom outlet, fan and light, providing the circuit does not extend from that bathroom.

Feed the GFI at the line side ,as will be the two switches, that each will feed the fan and the light.

I recommend you take out a permit for the wiring, along with the plumbing, and possibly a building permit will be needed if structural changes or new partitions are installed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Concerns with circuit overload because of bathroom remodeling [ 1 Answers ]

I’m in the process of remodeling my basement bathroom and have hit a road-block with the wiring. Here are my questions. • Before I started my basement bathroom remodel, the only thing that was wired in the bathroom was a vanity light from a 15A circuit. This circuit is shared with the upstairs...

Another Bathroom is needed... The boys are fighting to use the bathroom [ 7 Answers ]

First, thank you for having this kind of forum. Now also let me say that I'm not well versed in the plumbing lingo so hopefully you will be patient with my questions. I live in a 3 levels home (Basement, Main, Upstairs) with the existing bathroom is on the main floor. I'm planing to add...

Outside GFI circuit - 15amp outlet on 20amp circuit [ 1 Answers ]

I need a better understanding of what I should do when setting up my new outdoor circuit. I've got a circuit that runs about 150 feet, so I'm installing 10g wire to allow for the voltage drop. I read in the Home Depot Electrical 123 book that I can have at most a 15amp circuit with 10g wire on...

Bathroom Circuit around corner? [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the middle of a complete remodeling and upgrade of my 80 YO,5' x 9' bathroom. Toilet runs ditect into the 4" vent stack and will remain in the same place. New sink is circuit vented back to the stack and will be moved approx 15" further away from the stack but extending the 2" circuit vent...

Bathroom Vent fan GFCI circuit [ 3 Answers ]

My NuTone fan says that it's UL approved for over shower use when wired with GFCI circuit. Would it be acceptable if I ran the fan power wire first through a plain face (non-outlet, but outlet sized unit) GFCI unit, through the switch and to the fan with nothing else on that circuit? I know that I...

View more questions Search