Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Pharmacy27 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2008, 11:57 PM
    Gain FULL Custody
    Im 19 year old male, and I got my ex girlfriend pregnant.

When she told me she missed her period I was really worried and she was calm cause she said that it usually is a few days late. Two weeks had gone by and still there was no cycle. I bought a pregnancy test and she wouldn't let me see her pee on it. She "took" the test and it came out negative. We were relieved and thought that the situation was done with. A week later there was still no period, she said she took another one and this time it came out positive, I started questioning her why the first one was negative and now this one is positive, why. And she told me because she dipped the first test into the toilet. After that was settled we had decided on getting an abortion. I had told her do not worry about the money I will pay for it and be right there with you so you won't be scared. She said OK, but behind my back the next day she went the doctors office and paid for the abortion and decided to tell me the day before the appointment. We go to the doctors and the plan was for me to go in with her to keep her company and make it so she wasn't going through this alone. She fights me with me going into the room and says that she wants to do it alone and that she isn't going to let me go in with her. So I let her.

She comes out of the office and just walks out the door I take her home cause I have to go to school.On my way back to school I call her and ask her if she really did it because she didn't cry and she acted normal. So on my way walking to class she calls me and breaks up with me. I could not understand why it happened, but she did it. An hour later she calls me back and tells me that she couldn't do the abortion. She was too scared. That was the second time she had lied to me. And it really hurt me really bad. Someone who claimed to love me has lied about a serious subject TWICE now. We didn't talk for about a week and then we started talking again trying to make it work but it wasn't. Then about 2 months later she calls me and tells me she went to the doctors the day before cause she was having really bad pains in her stomach. And she said she had a miscarriage, and they said it was a stress related loss. So that made me feel horrible cause she said it was my fault. So now its been 5 1/2 months since she was declared pregnant, and about a week ago, she had called me and said that she never had a miscarriage either. Strike 3... So this girl has lied about the pregnancy 3 times to me, I don't know if she is just messing with my head or what. And now she is telling me that she doesn't want me to be a part of the little girls life but as a "Father" I can't let a girl like her take care of my kid. She is 22 and lives with her mom and dad and two sisters who are older than her and brother. She has no money, job, vehicle.

I guess what I'm trying to ask for help with is how do I get FULL CUSTODY.

Help would be greatly appreciated, by the way I live in California
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 12:19 AM
    Can you get a lawyer? If not ask for an assistance to some public attorneys office. The court may appoint u one free of charge or u may find one who will work on consignment meaning if u lose u pay him nothing but if he wins u have to make payment arrangements.

Court has to prove that your ex is incapable of taking care of your child and you are. Britney Spears lost the custody of her kids how much your ex? Think about it. Just need a good lawyer on this.

My ex got the full custody of their daughter because his ex-wife doesn't believe in doctors. She thinks that doctors are just around to get money and illness just need prayers. It's the biggest reason but there are a lot of things weighed. Court battle custody went on for 11 months.

By the way make sure first that the kid is yours. Have DNA testing before you go any further.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2008, 05:58 AM
    So you can see for a fact she is pregnant? Otherwise I would not even be asking about what to do when the baby is born cause other than you visually seeing she is pregnant you have no idea if she really is.
    IF you can not/have not visually seen she is pregnant then I would say she most likely started a lie and had to keep it going with more lies.
    Usually girls lie about being pregnant to keep a guy. Even though she broke up with you she felt she still needed to keep the lie up most likely so you would not keep pushing for an abortion.
    Since she lies like she does I am guessing she could be or may not be pregnant.

As yliara said you have to have proof she is an unfit mom but lying and being a drama queen are not grounds for an unfit mother.
    One thing you Do NEED to do is insist on a paternity test before you sign one single thing
    Otherwise you could end up being stuck paying for a baby that is not even yours.
    ABehrens Posts: 28, Reputation: 6

Jul 23, 2008, 10:49 AM
    Take everyone's advice on getting the paternity test. If the baby is yours there is no way that she can keep her from you if you are paying her child support and trying to be a part of the baby's life. There is no way a judge in his right mind will deny the biological father his rights if he wants to be active in the child's life. You probably won't be able to get full custody unless the mother is unfit or gives it to you, which probably won't happen. So, call around and talk to a few lawyers. What part of California are you in? I know some lawyers in Orange county that give free legal advice that you can call, I have to get the information if you need it. Hope everything works out and I totally commend you on trying to take care of your responsibilities, as you can see most of tehse postings are about dead beat dads and you don't seem to want to be one of those, so kudos to you!
    blackblue Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Jul 23, 2008, 07:41 PM
    Before anything get a paternity test done.
    Don't five that crazy girl a single cent.

Jul 24, 2008, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ABehrens
    Take everyone's advice on getting the paternity test. If the baby is yours there is no way that she can keep her from you if you are paying her child support and trying to be a part of the baby's life. There is no way a judge in his right mind will deny the biological father his rights if he wants to be active in the child's life. You probably won't be able to get full custody unless the mother is unfit or gives it to you, which probably won't happen. So, call around and talk to a few lawyers. What part of California are you in? I know some lawyers in Orange county that give free legal advice that you can call, I have to get the information if you need it. Hope everything works out and I totally commend you on trying to take care of your responsibilities, as you can see most of tehse postings are about dead beat dads and you don't seem to want to be one of those, so kudos to you!

I will post them tonight when I get back to my house, they are in my filing cabinet.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 24, 2008, 06:58 AM
    I moved this to Family Law because your main question was about custody. But before I get into that, I have a few comments. Having an unplanned pregnancy, is an extremely stressful situation for a woman. From your description of events, it sounds like you didn't provide a great deal of support. I suspect the reason she lied about the results of the first test was because of pressure from you. YOU went and bought the test and wanted to stand over her while she took it.

Then you claim you decided on an abortion, but I suspect she was never happy with that decision, but agreed to it due to pressure from you. Ho you think you were being supportive by paying for it and holding her hand during it. But in reality you were pressuring her to do something she didn't want.

I'm not the least surprised she broke up with you over this. And doesn't want you as part of the child's life. After all it was your preference to terminate the pregancy.

But legally, you have a father's rights (once established by a paternity test). However, I see nothing in your story that would get you full custody. Just because she lives with her parents doesn't make her unfit.

At best, you will get joint legal custody with visitation rights.
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jul 24, 2008, 07:51 AM
    What? You want full custody? What happened to not wanting the baby to begin with?
    When did you change your mind from "getting rid of it" to SUPPOSEDLY wanting what's best for it?

Your last statement about her is probably the reason she keeps lying to you. "she doesn't want me to be a part of the little girls life." She's probably trying to get you to think you don't have a baby anymore so she can raise it on her own without you interfering for whatever reason, and every time she lies her conscious gets the best of her and she tells you the truth. No, I don't think it's right for her to do that by any means, but I also don't think she is just trying to get a laugh and mess with your head.

Unless there is some major detail you are leaving out or something major happens between now and the time the baby is born, there is no way you would get full custody. Maybe visitation, probably at best 50/50 custody or something like that.

Again, I don't understand how you can want to have full custody of a baby you tried to get rid of to begin with. Whether a person agrees with abortion is irrelevant here. But you chose that, and now because someone lied to you, you think you deserve to get the baby you never wanted? Why don't you try to step up and be a good father (which doesn't include trying to take the kid away from her mom without good reason) and take responsibility for your actions? Try to make this work with the mother. Otherwise, don't be a detriment to the kid you never wanted.

p.s. You seem to have a problem with criticism. Just because someone doesn't agree with you doesn't mean they're a moron.
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 07:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    Then you claim you decided on an abortion, but I suspect she was never happy with that decision, but agreed to it due to pressure from you. Ho you think you were being supportive by paying for it and holding her hand during it. But in reality you were pressuring her to do something she didn't want.
    I was thinking the same thing but figured I would stick with the other issue
    You can not get full custody on what you have stated here.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 08:01 AM
    I can't give scott any more green right now but I'm with him too.

Jul 24, 2008, 08:04 AM
    Okay, you guys are all bashing this man because of the whole abortion thing in the beginning of the preganancy! It is normal for young people to think about abortion when they find out that they are going to be a parent at 19! The thought probably crossed the mother's mind as well, it obviously did if she went to the doctor's office and everything but didn't go through with it. The first thing that came to my mind when I found out that I was pregnant at 18 was abortion, my daughter's father was the one to convience me not to have one and to have the baby and now he isn't even in her life! I am so thankful that I had her though, she changed my life and I love her to death!! So, at least he has come to terms that he is going to be a father and maybe he is thankful for that and wants to be a part of his child's life, which he has every right to be! He is an equal parent as well. Kids need both of their parents, not just one! So STOP bashing him about the whole abortion thing! He was just as scared as the mother I am sure and probably had his doubts about the abortion as well! He will probably not get full custody unless the mother gives up her rights which has been known to happen, but not usually. He can get them 50/50 if he proves that he can support the child while he has it. As for the mother, maybe you should talk to her and explain to her why you had mentioned an abortion in the beginning. Explain to her that you were not trying to pressure her into having one. I am sure that she wants to be with you while she is going through this pregnancy. She is probably scared that she is going to have to do this all alone and that is why she is pushing you away. Let her know that you care about her and the baby! You two are going to have to deal with each other for the rest of your lives now because of the decisions that you two made together. So, now you have to make the best of the situation for not only you, but your child as well!! Hope everything works out and I will post those numbers tonight. Good luck!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 08:14 AM
    I would suggest that OP read the rules of the Board concerning "reddies" and what is allowed. Specifically: What is disparaging?
    Disparaging is to speak of or treat slightingly; depreciate; belittle.

It's quite alright to say (in a post or comment to a post)
    "The above will not work because...", or
    "I disagree; here is how I would handle it...", or
    "Here is an answer/solution that I believe is more accurate/effective..."
    ...or similar.

It's not acceptable to say
    "so and so does not know what he's talking about", or
    "I guess so and so did not care about checking the accuracy of his answer", or
    "again, so and so, you've posted in error", or
    "so and so's answer is baloney"
    ...or similar.If you can't say something nice to or about another member, then don't say it at all.

Way out of line and this reddie should be removed.

Jul 24, 2008, 08:15 AM
    Comments on this post
    Pharmacy27 disagrees: You're a moron

First, may I call your attention to the guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

You are entitled to your opinion, but expressing them using the comments feature was inappropriate. However, I stand by what I said. Obviously, several others read similar things into your posts, so I may have been wrong, but my interpretations appear reasonable. This hardly qualifies me as a "moron".

I notice that rather then try to present arguments to the points I made, you resort to name-calling (a violation of the rules of this site, by the way). This makes me all the more convinced that I am right. You want to dissuade me? Then post something to argue against the conclusions I reached. Just name calling will do nothing but result in your being banned.
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jul 24, 2008, 08:17 AM
    Yes, they were probably both scared, and like I said, it was their choice to get an abortion, and that's not the real issue right now. I just don't understand how you can go from not wanting the kid (be it through abortion, adoption, just not seeing it or whatever, which are all valid choices a person can make) to wanting the other parent (who obviously wasn't as comfortable about the choice, which is why I suspect she didn't go through with it) to not have the kid and to keep the kid for yourself. I don't get that at all, and if someone, namely the OP, could explain, I would be more than willing to listen and take what he says with an open mind. What I'm getting right now is
    1) I don't want the baby, lets get an abortion
    2) OK she changed the plan, but is still getting the abortion
    3) She walked out, don't know if she got rid of it
    4) She says she's still pregnant
    5) Says she had a miscarriage
    6) Says she didn't have a miscarriage
    7) She keeps lying to me and I guess this baby is going to be born anyway. Why not get back at her for lying and try to take the baby away from her?
    8) I want full custody

It just seems like he's only wanting full custody for his own selfish reasons, namely revenge, and doesn't really care what's best for the baby. That is why I have yet to be convinced that he is "trying to be a good father now." It looks to me more like he's trying to hurt the mother (who I won't say is innocent in all this either) by getting the baby.
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 08:19 AM
    Hope everything works out and I will post those numbers tonight. Good luck![
    /QUOTE]

Actually you are not allowed to post names and numbers of Attorneys - this site is sponsored by and paid for by Attorneys and it is unfair to them to post information which takes business away from them.
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 08:20 AM
    Yeah the wanting her to get an abortion NOW want full custody puzzles me a bit too
    All I could guess was want to make up by being a good father and don't want her to get child support

Jul 24, 2008, 08:24 AM
    Okay, you guys are all bashing this man b/c of the whole abortion thing in the beginning of the preganancy! !
    I must disagree. First, I am not anti-abortion. While its not a choice I would make, I understand the reasons behind making the choice.

My points here are based not on what decisions were made, but the WAY the decisions were made. My suspicions are that the OP put a lot of pressure (whether knowingly or unknowingly) on the girl and she went along with things not because she wanted to but because he did. It could have very well been the other way around, him wanting her to keep the child and she wanting to abort.
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 08:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by smokedetector
    Yes, they were probably both scared, and like I said, it was their choice to get an abortion, and that's not the real issue right now. I just don't understand how you can go from not wanting the kid (be it through abortion, adoption, just not seeing it or whatever, which are all valid choices a person can make) to wanting the other parent (who obviously wasn't as comfortable about the choice, which is why I suspect she didn't go through with it) to not have the kid and to keep the kid for yourself. I don't get that at all, and if someone, namely the OP, could explain, I would be more than willing to listen and take what he says with an open mind. What I'm getting right now is
    1) I don't want the baby, lets get an abortion
    2) OK she changed the plan, but is still getting the abortion
    3) She walked out, don't know if she got rid of it
    4) She says she's still pregnant
    5) Says she had a miscarriage
    6) Says she didn't have a miscarriage
    7) She keeps lying to me and I guess this baby is going to be born anyway. Why not get back at her for lying and try to take the baby away from her?
    8) I want full custody

It just seems like he's only wanting full custody for his own selfish reasons, namely revenge, and doesn't really care whats best for the baby. That is why I have yet to be convinced that he is "trying to be a good father now." It looks to me more like he's trying to hurt the mother (who I won't say is innocent in all this either) by getting the baby.

You beat me to it -

Jul 24, 2008, 08:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee
    /QUOTE]

Actually you are not allowed to post names and numbers of Attorneys - this site is sponsored by and paid for by Attorneys and it is unfair to them to post information which takes business away from them.

I am not going to post specific attonrney's information. I am going to post organizations that may be able to help him in the state of California, they would be useful to more people then just him. I got all of this information when I was in a domestic violence shelter while I was living in California. Thanks for the concern.
    Uber Member

Jul 24, 2008, 08:33 AM
    I am not going to post specific attonrney's information. I am going to post organizations that may be able to help him in the state of California, they would be useful to more people then just him. I got all of this information when I was in a domestic violence shelter while I was living in California. Thanks for the concern.

I didn't read the post about the shelters. I was responding to this: "So, call around and talk to a few lawyers. What part of California are you in? I know some lawyers in Orange county that give free legal advice that you can call, I have to get the information if you need it."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to Gain Custody of My Grandchildren [ 1 Answers ]

I have been caring for my two olest grandchidlren all of their lives. My daughter had four other children by her now boyfriend. He manipulted my daughter to bring hismother into the home. My two older grandchildren are being treated bad by her. The boyfriend does disgusting things around...

Gain custody of nephew in need [ 1 Answers ]

My nephew is 3 months old and I know that the dad dose drugs maybe more than one type but the mom used too but quit but still allows the father even though the baby and dad are in same room small room so he is smoking pot around my nephew and nobody else is doing anything if the father were gone...

Father trying to gain full custody! [ 4 Answers ]

My boyfriend is trying to gain full custody of his 5 month old daughter. I know that we have to prove that his ex is an unfit mother! Here are some facts: She has moved three times in a year, she is unemployed and has been for the past six months, we also think she is living with her mother, who...

Trying to gain custody of my daughters. [ 2 Answers ]

I am a father of 2 beautiful girls ages 9 and 11. My exwife is currently "homeless" for the second time in 6 years. When I tried to get custody the first time I was told it was a bump in the road. I am debating whether to file a motion to gain custody for this second time, but being a male has it's...

How can I gain custody of my sister? [ 3 Answers ]

Right now I'm trying to get a restraining order on my mother. We were living with my aunt and my mothers unstable attitude has rocked the house in disarray she has hit my aunt and cousin right now my aunt has a bruise on her eye. She has threatened me that she'll drag me out of the house to live...

View more questions Search