Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    owedalotofmoney Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2008, 04:00 PM
    Back Child Support That is Owed To Me!
    My Ex Husband and I got divorced and I got custody of the children. His child support obligation was to pay me 1000.00 monthly through the clerk of courts. He rarely paid me, but occasionally he would. Sometimes it was through the clerk, and sometimes directly to me. When he paid me directly I always sent a letter to the clerks office letting them know how much was paid. The letters were never notarized, I just wrote them. Now come to find out he owes me 67,000.00 back support from what the clerks office is stating. The letters I wrote were never accounted for but are still in our file at the court house. I have had to file for welfare and now the state is making me go to child support to collect. Is he still for the back child support, or will the courts find him responsible for paying what was owed?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 04:03 PM
    Well he first knew he was to pay the court, so that is his mistake, if he has copies of checks and the such. And to be honest you should have went to child support collections before

Jul 22, 2008, 04:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by owedalotofmoney
    My Ex Husband and I got divorced and I got custody of the children. His child support obligation was to pay me 1000.00 monthly through the clerk of courts. He rarely paid me, but occasionally he would. Sometimes it was through the clerk, and sometimes directly to me. When he paid me directly I always sent a letter to the clerks office letting them know how much was paid. The letters were never notarized, I just wrote them. Now come to find out he owes me 67,000.00 back support from what the clerks office is stating. The letters I wrote were never accounted for but are still in our file at the court house. I have had to file for welfare and now the state is making me go to child support to collect. Is he still for the back child support, or will the courts find him responsible for paying what was owed?
    He has no copies... just the letters... my question is is he still going to be responsible for paying the back child support?
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 04:35 PM
    Im a bit confused but here goes. He was supposed to be paying through the clerks office so they would have a record. But instead he made payments directly to you ? So as far as the clerks office goes he wasn't paying when in fact he was. The best thing to do is a full accounting to your recolection and maybe even talk to him to find out how much is really owed if any. You can address that at the hearing and he needs to get whatever he can to prove he made payments. Like canceled checks in the proper amounts to you.
    erin7799 Posts: 159, Reputation: 32

Jul 22, 2008, 04:44 PM
    I went through this with my son's father at one point. He is around $7,000 dollars in the hole with Domestic Relations. He told me that he was going to send me some money and he wanted me to let them know that he did so. I called them and told them exactly how much he had sent. Now this was a few years ago but they told me that because he didn't do what he was supposed to and send it through them it doesn't count as support. They will look at it as a gift. So if he isn't sending it through the agency it doesn't mean squat. The reason my son's father chose to do it that way is so they wouldn't find out where he was. He would send money orders and they told me that he could save money order reciepts all he wanted. He could pay his electric bill and tell them that it was for support. It's not the same as writing a check. Not the same record. I don't know. Good Luck with this!

Jul 22, 2008, 05:16 PM
    Even if I wrote on the letter that I sent to the court that he paid and we settled everything outside of court??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Child support owed by deceased parent [ 4 Answers ]

I am the custodial parent, my daughter is grown and her father just passed away in dec 2007. He owes back child support for several years, a little oevr 40,000.00, my daughter is grown and does not live with me any,ore and the father was having monies taken out of his check whenever the atty...

Child support owed prior to completion of order [ 1 Answers ]

My court divorce order states that my child received child support until age of 18 OR 19 if going to full time school. My daughter is now 18 and will be 19 in May, going to school full time. In February, her father stopped the child support payments. If he continues not to pay, he will have...

Back child support for adult child [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Texas collecting back child support through a child support collection agency for my two adult children. I admitted years ago to my ex-husband that one of the adult child may not be his but he never took the DNA test and could not get the other man to take the test. This summer I learned...

Back child support and social security disability back pay [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Texas and I am making court ordered payments fro back child support for a non-minor child. I will be receiving social security disability soon and was wondering since I am making payments will my social security back pay be garnished?:confused:

View more questions Search