Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Rochhie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2006, 07:25 AM
    Clogged bathroom Sink Drain
    My bathroom sink will not drain all the way. Had plumber in who put snake down drain from under sink and then removed toilet to enter from that end. Was told that the snake could break my lead pipe under the floor so he stopped and said that he had to break up the floor and replace entire pipe. I paid him $240.00 to snake drain and remove toilet and now he says that it will be $1100.00 more to break up floor and replace pipe. This sounds a little crazy to me. Is it true if he snakes the drain he will break it because the pipe is lead. It just seems a little far fetched to me that he had to break up my floor and replace the pipe from the bathroom sink. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Oh by the way, did he tell me all this because I am a woman... and just thinks I am stupid. I feel stupid after spedning $240.00 and the drain is still stopped up.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 5, 2006, 01:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Rochhie
    My bathroom sink will not drain all the way. Had plumber in who put snake down drain from under sink and then removed toilet to enter from that end. Was told that the snake could break my lead pipe under the floor so he stopped and said that he had to break up the floor and replace entire pipe. I paid him $240.00 to snake drain and remove toilet and now he says that it will be $1100.00 more to break up floor and replace pipe. This sounds a little crazy to me. Is it true if he snakes the drain he will break it because the pipe is lead. It just seems a little far fetched to me that he had to break up my floor and replace the pipe from the bathroom sink. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Oh by the way, did he tell me all this because I am a woman....... and just thinks I am stupid. I feel stupid after spedning $240.00 and the drain is still stopped up.
    Hi Rochhie,
    You either had a inexperienced plumber or he just missed the boat completely.
    Follow along with me. When he removed the trap and snaked from under the sink he snaked the lateral,(horizontal) drain line in the wall. That was good but that line only runs a few feet and then terminates at the vent.
    Here's where he screwed up. You can't get to the lavatory drain by pulling the toilet and going down the closet bend, (more about the closet bend later). The toilet drain doesn't run into the lavatory drain the lavatory drain runs into the toilet drain and the only way you can snake out the lavatory drain is to go down the lavatory roof vent. So when he pulled the toilet he saw a LEAD CLOSET BEND and screwed up for the second time when he assumed, without checking, that all your drainage pipes were lead. At that time I bet he told you he couldn't snake out a lead pipe without augering through the pipe wall, packed up his tools, wrote a bill and boogied out. How am I doing so far? Back in Wisconsin when I was learning the trade in the 40's we had lead closet bends but the rest of the drainage was cast iron or, in the case of sinks, tubs and lavatories, galvanized iron pipe. He then screwed up a third time when he attempted to sell you a repipe job by thinking all your pipes were made of lead without having a shred of proof the pipes were indeed constructed of lead.
    If you hired a plumbing company I would contact the service manager and file a complaint. Have them send out a more experienced man and since you have already paid the plumber for his incompetence and the fact the job wasn't completed this recall should cost you nothing. If you wish you can show them this post. Please keep me in the loop on this and let me know how you make out. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak in new bathroom sink drain [ 12 Answers ]

I spent the morning removing my old sink drain and replacing it with a new one. After attaching everything I noted a persistent leak in the pipe at the middle of the new drain. I checked all of the connections, and it does not seem to be coming from these areas. It appears that the leak is...

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Bathroom sink drain trap [ 1 Answers ]

I've installed a new bathroom vanity. The drain line, which comes through the floor, not the wall, is in the exact center of the vanity; the drain from the sink is likewise centered. How do I install a trap given the two pipe are centered exactly above one another and are not offset? Do I even...

Upstairs bathroom sink slow drain [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, again I am at my end with this sink... but still can't afford a plumber! It is the only drain in the house that has this problem. I just tried using my hose and a small nozzel to put high pressure water through the drain in an attempt to unclog it... well here is the funny thing......

Bathroom Sink Filling From Drain [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I've got quite a situation going here. I own a townhouse, and have a second floor bedroom/bath that is rarely used. About a week ago I went into that bathroom to discover that the sink was full of a coppery colored water, and sediment coated the sink. Apparently it had also overflowed at some...

View more questions Search