Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    squarepants Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2006, 06:13 AM
    OPT->H1->EAD(from pending 485), tax treaty?
    Dear tax expert,

I was on OPT/F1 till 06/05, on H1 from 06/05 to 08/05, then I started using my EAD obtained from my pending 485 from 09/05. I understand I can file as resident and use 1040 base on the substantial presence test as it is over 183 days since I used H1. But there is no case example for EAD from pending 485, can you confirm me this?

My questions are:
    1. Since I was on OPT till 06/05 with no SS and medicare paid (but they did tax me on federal for all the income during that period, strange? But true), can I still use the tax treaty on top of the standard deduction and personal exemption? If not, why? Any references?

2. My kid doesn't have a SSN but has 485 pending, can I get child tax credit for him?

Thanks a lot!
    Squarepants
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 6, 2006, 06:58 AM
    I have no experience with EAD. You need to get a readout from INS as to when the H-1 went into effect.

1) No. There are only very specific instances where you can claim the treaty exemption while filing as a resident alien. You can check IRS Pub 901 for details.

2) Yes, if he was in the U.S. for more than 6 months and you file as a resident alien.
    squarepants Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 6, 2006, 01:41 PM
    Can you please go through page 49 to 50 on Publication 519. It is about Tax Treaty Benefits for Resident Aliens. At the end of this section, there is even an example for Chinese. I think my case is for the most part the same as his. He got the treaty benefits while filing 1040.

Besides, I believe I have no problem filing 1040 because anyway I've passed the 5 year duration (see the example). In addition, I understant I can't use any NR form cause it harms my immigration status.

Do you have any reference on the half year residence requirement for my kid to be eligible to be depedent? How about child care expenses?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaTaxExpert
    I have no experience with EAD. You need to get a readout from INS as to when the H-1 went into effect.

1) No. There are only very specific instances where you can claim the treaty exemption while filing as a resident alien. You can check IRS Pub 901 for details.

2) Yes, if he was in the U.S. for more than 6 months and you file as a resident alien.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 6, 2006, 09:42 PM
    Your child has to be a dependent to be eligible for Child Care Credit. The 6 month requirement can be found in IRS Pub 17.

If you think you qualify for the treaty exemption while filing Form 1040, go for it. I recommend you get professional help from a tax professional with experience in this area of taxation, because you will get questions from the IRS.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

India-US tax treaty [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I came here in jan 2004 as J-1 Research scholar. Initially for few months the university withheld my federeal taxes but then stopped it. So when I filed my tax return 1040-NR for the year 2004 , the whole salary was exempted under the treaty and I also got the refund of the amount deducted...

Usa-italy tax treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am an Italian PhD doing a research fellowship UCSF. I am here on a J-1 visa, arrived July 2004 and leaving 2007. I am filing my tax return now, and I don't know if I can apply for the exemption based on the treaty with Italy or not. If I claim the exemption now, am I going to pay all...

F2 Treaty [ 1 Answers ]

Thanks in advance My husband came to US in 2002 in F-2 visa. He then went to Mexico and switched to F1 visa in Jan 2003. (He stayed in Mexico for 3 days).He has never been out of US ever since then. Can he claim US-China treaty of $5000? Please also provide the supporting documentation if...

H1B Visa Pending, want to travel. [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, I would be glad if someone could help me out here, about travelling abroad while my application for changing from F1 to H1 status is pending. If I travel abroad right now, my I94 card number is going to change, so will that require me to REFILE the H1 application again or I would be...

View more questions Search