Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    drycreeknanna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2006, 01:49 PM
    Fire Ants
    I am from east Texas,and need some advice on killing these fire ants.just ran up on this site some how,and glad I did.sounds like fun and informative.just wanted to say hi to all.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2006, 05:41 AM
    Interesting. I see that they are tougher than I figured they'd be.

Looks like Baiting and Drenching is the recommended treatment... although I read that it's an ongoing battle.

Here are a couple of links that describe similar tactics: The first one is from Texas A&M University:

http://fireant.tamu.edu/management/twostep.cfm

http://www.fireant.com/
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2006, 05:50 AM
    Hi, drycreek,
    They are usually hard to get rid of, and it does take persistence.
    Go to a local Farm Store, or Agricultural Agent, or even a larger department store; look for Ant Killer.
    Sometimes, one might even specify Fire Ants.
    Granule types are good, but if you can't find it, even the spray can is good, but have to keep at it.
    Some have even tried pouring gas on the ant hills, digging it a little with a rake, and lighting it! But, it doesn't work very well, cause they go too deep. I do NOT recommend that method; just mentioned because others have tried it. Sounds too dangerous for me.
    Best of luck.
    Jahiem28 Posts: 103, Reputation: 5

May 18, 2006, 05:49 PM
    Hi there Rickj advice is correct. Baiting or Drenching is the best method in treating fire ants. The best time to treat the mounds are early in the morning when it cool. If you are looking for fast killing action you might want to look at Drenching 1 to 2 gallon per mounds. Other wise used bait but understand it can take several weeks to eliminate the colony.
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

May 18, 2006, 07:07 PM
    Buy a product called Amdro. Sprinkle abot a tablespoon directly on top of the mound... about a day later that mound is dead... They are very hard to control and they are costing the State of Texas millions of dollars in tourist money plus they are very hard on the wildlife because they kill the young pirds and young deer and other animals.
    MBrooms Posts: 11, Reputation: 3

Mar 25, 2007, 07:43 PM
    I live in North Carolina, and also have a problem with fire ants. I use a powder that I get at Lowe's, called Ortho Fire Ant killer. You just sprinkle a light dusting over and around the edges of the mound, and within 12 hours, the mound is dead. My biggest problem now, is, that I go to all the trouble of searching out and treating every mound, (I have 3+ acres) but my neighbor doesn't treat his property, so every time he mows his yard, he blows the ants all over the place, and I have to go back and retreat. It's an ongoing battle!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fire [ 3 Answers ]

I had a fire in my apartment on July 27. I didn't have renters insurance. When I applied for the Fire Marshall report it stated that it was inconclusive (they could not determine who's fault it was), now my question is can I sue the management company for compensation of lost items, i.e furniture

Ants in my home [ 6 Answers ]

Dose anyone have a good home remedy to get rid of ants, something that's safe for kids to be around?

Ants in the apartment, cats and anxiety! [ 1 Answers ]

Live on the third floor of an apartment building and am having a problem with small black/brownish ants. I first noticed them on a chocolate spill that I did not realize was there (silly cats knocked over a beverage). I IMMEDIATELY cleaned the spot, followed their trail, washed the trail and...

Ants [ 7 Answers ]

Does anybody know any good tips for getting rid of ants?

My kitten was covered in ants evan in her eyes now she's blind and dying [ 2 Answers ]

i found my kitten in my sisters room and it was compleatly coverd in ants evan in her eyes and mouth...i got them all of but now she is blind and she is dying..but i dont know what to do....i tried feeding her...and it did give her some energy....but not much...what should i do?

View more questions Search