Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tambry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2008, 11:31 AM
    How to charge for interior painting by square feet
    I have been approached about painting the interior of someone's house. What is a fair price for 1100 sq ft with vaulted ceilings of 15 ft? This will include trim work, mantle and columns. I will have to move furniture and do some prep work.
    rickmuscat Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2008, 07:41 PM
    As acontractor I would think that 3.00 to 3.50 a foot would cover your cost but try to think about how many days it would take plus rentals on your scaffolding plus primer and color cost and don't forget the wall patching. I would bid this at around 4500 to 5500 dollars depending on the preparation.
    SnakeBite Posts: 68, Reputation: 4

Jul 25, 2008, 02:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickmuscat
    As acontractor I would think that 3.00 to 3.50 a foot would cover your cost but try to think about how many days it would take plus rentals on your scaffolding plus primer and color cost and dont forget the wall patching. I would bid this at around 4500 to 5500 dollars depending on the preperation.
    Your description is very vague. I am a house painter and I would have to see the work to price it accurately...
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 03:28 AM
    The price per square foot would greatly depend on the location where you will be doing the painting, the conditions of the surface areas to be painted as well as the surface texture of the areas to be painted as well as the method as to how the paint will be applied. So, it would be helpful to have more information from you in those regards.

If you are going to be moving a lot of furniture, as well as doing some prep work, presumably being cleaning, patching and repairs, then you would add more to your price outside of what you would be charging per square foot. Those sort of things would be stipulated in the Contract which you would provide to the Customer.

To be successful at being a painting contractor, you will need, at the minimum, a business plan, at least liability insurance specific to painters, and Contract(s) specific and detailed as to what you will be doing for the Customer as well as the Customer's responsibilities according to that which is spelled out in the Contract(s).

Those would be just a few of the things that you will need to cover as far as what you might need...

There are many that will go around saying that they are painters without really knowing what is involved in the business. It is an art, science, salesmanship and public relations venture rolled into one.

Enough from me...

Please provide some additional information so that we can help you the best here!

Thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trying to figure square feet [ 10 Answers ]

someone told me that the square ft of a 14x20 room was 820 sq ft could someone please tell me in detail how they figured this thanks

Square feet doing the math [ 6 Answers ]

my question is can someone tell me if a room is 17x10 the sq ft is like 602 17x8 17x8 10x8 10x8 17x10 for ceiling I'm trying to price a painting job by the sq ft so how do I do the math if I was charging .70 per sq ft would I do 602x.70 there has to be more to it could someone please show...

Will 2 ton trane cool 1720 square feet ? [ 2 Answers ]

My fiancé bought a trane 2 ton new from some ole guy. Our house is 1720 square feet built in 1978.We have placed new windows within the last month,but our air conditioning unit runs all the time. Will installing the trane help us ?

Square feet for drywall [ 2 Answers ]

Could some one tell me how many pieces of drywall it would take to drywall 908 sq ft

Square feet [ 1 Answers ]

How many square feet in an acre?

View more questions Search