Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    graphicjlh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2008, 10:46 AM
    Water backs up into downstairs bathroom sink.
    Hello

HELP! My situation is... water backs up into downstairs bathroom sink apparently after the upstairs shower has been used which is directly above the downstairs bathroom. Our house is around 40 years old. We have had people there before and opened up the wall on either side of the downstairs bathroom and replaced the "Y" joining of the pipes, as well as the piping under the sink downstairs about 6 months ago or so.

The problem has just come back. Any clues what IS REALLY causing this again?. HELP!!

Thank you in advance!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 11:05 AM
    Your shower and sink are piped together to the main drain. Your plug is just prior to joining that main or else you'd see a back up into a tub or shower. It is likely hair and body oil. I dfo not normally recommend chemicals but this may be your only option short of opening those walls again.
    sam8988378 Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Jul 22, 2008, 11:19 AM
    Hi there. We also have an old house (63 yrs old), with much of the original plumbing. We also get clogs & water backups. The best thing I've found is Liquid Plumber Foaming Pipe Cleaner. Before I go to bed, I pour a bottle into the bathtub, another bottle is split between the bathroom sink and the unused shower stall drain. It's left undisturbed all night. In the morning I flush the tub and all the other drains with hot water. This solves the problem for about a year or so. Since your downstairs bathroom sink is involved, I would dose that with a bottle at the same time, too. Good Luck!
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 04:11 PM
    Bob
    Why wouldn't you just snake the downstairs bath lavatory drain?
    graphicjlh Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2008, 04:11 PM
    Thank you very much. As you suspected it was clogged. It's an old house the plumber said and this will happen from time to time. I had it "snaked" and all seems good now.

Thanks again.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 04:54 PM
    Clean your drain servicing this run. It is clogged up. No need to open walls
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 22, 2008, 05:36 PM
    Harold, snaking is usually the way to go but if its just hair a small dose on Liquid Plumber might be quicker. The homeowner seemed to rely on plumbers so I figured he/she wasn't into snaking on their own so I suggested the Liquid Plumber. Turns out they called a plumber from the wording of the last post. I would have snaked the lav drain but sometimes the home owner isn't up to that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New bathroom sink backs up halfway, quickly drains, repeat.. no overflow in this sink [ 2 Answers ]

I just very proudly finished installing our new second floor bathroom sink drains. Two different vanities, two different walls. I ran the water steadily in both of them for 10 minutes. One works fine. The other backs up about halfway up the bowl, then suddenly quickly drains everything and...

Low or no water pressure in downstairs bathroom. Why? [ 4 Answers ]

We had out Hot Water Heater replaced yesterday and today we have low or no water pressure in the down stairs bathroom. Why?

Upstairs bathroom sink backs up when neighbor uses theirs [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 2 bdrm duplex (about 30 years old) and my upstairs bathroom sink is backing up primarily when my neighbor who also owns the property uses their sink. I can hear them plunging it out sometimes and my side starts to back up and spit black sediment and sludge. I have tried draino and it no...

Plumbing - 1st floor sink backs up in sink below [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1st floor kitchen sink directly above a basement sink. When the 1st floor sink is full, it drains quickly and backs up in the sink below - which then drains relatively quickly. No other problems here - the dishwasher drains fine, general use is fine - it's only when there's a full sink of...

Washer Rinse Water Backs Up in Kitchen Sink [ 5 Answers ]

My washing machine rinse water backs up into my double kitchen sink and my wonderful plumber is stumped. I'm only able to wash a mini load (which fills up both sinks) as a medium or large load causes my kitchen sinks to overflow. It's been doing this for over a year now and I'm tired of living with...

View more questions Search