Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    is this right Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Jul 22, 2008, 08:46 AM
    Relationship age gap of 7 years.can it work?
    I am 30, and a girl I have just met is 23.

I met her the day before I planned to end my relationship of 6 years with another girlfriend. While I know getting straight into seeing someone has its own issues and problems, I really like this girl and we ar on the same page in terms of taking it slow etc

She loves going out, almost ever night with friends/work friends, and I have my own life too with friends and playing sport etc...

I just can't help feeling that at somepoint she is going to think that she wants to be free to go out and start seeing guys of her own age, who also want to go out all the time, or maybe she will meet one when she is out.

To protect myself from this happening down the line, maybe I should just call it all off now?

Or do I take the plunge/chill out, and just see what happens.

I am ready to start looking at people on the basis of are they 'the one', and in the back of my mind consider the long term, where as she at 23 is going to be miles away from thinking about all that kind of stuff(as I was ehan I was 23!)

Try it out and enjoy it, to see where it goes vs protect myself and find someone older?
    fjsmith81 Posts: 122, Reputation: 11

Jul 22, 2008, 08:57 AM
    Try it out. There is never a one size fits all relationship. Sometimes she may think that you are a little too stuffy and sometimes you may think that she is a little too immature. Those are some off the things that may come from this relationship. Some other things can be finding love, actually enjoying each others' company, or finding that this is the person that you want to spend the rest of your life with.

Seven years is not a huge age gap. Especially when the man is the older party. Btw there are 23 year women that do think about marriage and children and all of the commitment things. So she may not be miles away from your thinking.

Keep on doing what you are doing, take it slow, and see where it goes. From the sound of it you just met her and it may be a little too early to start putting all of this pressure on this blossoming relationship. Especially if you just got out of a serious relationship yourself.
    Good luck
    Justwantfair Posts: 3,422, Reputation: 944
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2008, 08:58 AM
    I believe that you should always enjoy the person you are with, whether they are the one with show itself in time (it took you six years the last time). Age should not be a factor when it comes to love although it may pose some situations for life experience and goals. My parents are celebrating 25 years of marriage this year, they met when my father was 36 and she was 18! So it can work. You should judge this woman by her goals and how she sees a future with you, how you connect, how well you relate, and converse. Age should not be a factor.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2008, 09:01 AM
    You can always 'protect yourself' and see her casually as a friend until you know each other better to decide. Any more it seems like all or nothing relationships everybody wants to jump into a quick relationship and then ask questions later after they are emotionally attached and realize they aren't getting along all that well and then want to break up.
    Why not go at the pace you have been and ask questions to really find out where her head is at?
    DBmtgprocessor Posts: 37, Reputation: 4

Jul 22, 2008, 11:15 AM
    I married my husband when he was 23 and I was 31. Married now 16 1/2 years and still going strong. It can work.
    brkfstatiffs Posts: 263, Reputation: 21

Jul 22, 2008, 11:50 AM
    I think you should go for it. I was 23 and my ex was 30 (7 yrs a part), if you feel in your gut that it's worth a shot - then go for it. Honestly a lot of us girls, tend to act and think older then our age (I'm in my mid 20's) and personally like older guys 29-32, they have been around the block more and know what's up in terms of a relationship etc. Go for it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Will a relationship with a man 24 years older work? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 32 years old and pregnant for my 55 year old boyfriend. We live together. He has a reputation for being unfaithful and I do not trust him. How do I handle this? What should I do?:confused:

Fianc?e wants out of relationship after 6 years [ 14 Answers ]

After living with my fiancée for six years and cought him cheating,I decided to have a separation to think things over and also give him space to decide what he really wants. After six month he asked for one more chance, I accepted but I did not let him move back in. A few weeks later he told me he...

2 years and still not sure if I want this relationship [ 3 Answers ]

Ive been dating this girl for to a little over 2 years, I think I love her but I'm not sure if I'm ready for the level of relationship that I should be in. I'm now a senior in high school and I've been having a real hard time the last few weeks because I don't know if I really want to be in this...

Engaged to be married after almost 10 years in the relationship? [ 5 Answers ]

I've been living together with my high school sweetheart for about 9 years now, yeah a very long time. As a very young couple, we never gave ourselves a chance to test the waters out there. For the past years into our relationship we've gone through so much, and a lot of things have changed. I'm...

Relationship ending after 6 years and now I'm lost [ 23 Answers ]

I have posted here before and since then things had gotten better... for awhile. Then things started to get worse and recently, he decided he wanted to end it. He wants to move out and is looking for a place. It has ended badly with name calling, hating each other and he seems to think I'm cheating...

View more questions Search