Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SUGEYSUGEY Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2008, 07:43 AM
    Unsecured debt
    I'm going to court for a debt that I can't afford to pay. Can you tell me what's going to happen? I live in Atlanta, Ga.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 22, 2008, 07:45 AM
    Not being able to afford to pay is not a defense. If the debt is valid, the plaintiff will be awarded a judgement. That judgement may then be used to garnish your salary, attach cash assets or take possession of personal assets.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2008, 08:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SUGEYSUGEY
    I'm going to court for a debt that I can't afford to pay. Can you tell me what's going to happen? I live in Atlanta, Ga.

Are they attempting to collect within the legal Statute of Limitation? In Georgia - if this is a credit card - it's 6 years which would be 6 years from the last activity on the account, last use of the card, last payment.

There is one complication - Georgia Court recently ruled that it's 6 years since the payment BECAME due. That decision is being appealed.

Otherwise, echoing Scott - inability to pay is not a defense and once the Judgment is taken a variety of methods can be used to collect, all of them legal.
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jul 22, 2008, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SUGEYSUGEY
    Just curious: Can you afford monthly installments? Are you working? Do you own your home? Do you have a bank account?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Arbitration summons for unsecured credit card debt [ 2 Answers ]

I have fallen behind in payments on myvisa. The account has been sold to a third party and have now tacked on double the amount owed. I have received a summons for arbitration, but have not hired an attorney. What are my options or at best, what can they do to me? (other than keep reporting it to...

Can wages be garnished to pay unsecured credit card debt [ 2 Answers ]

I am six months behind in my credit card payments. I own nothing and have no saved money-due to unfortunate circumstances over the past year. I am being threatened by an attorney's office that I will be sued and my-poor, pitiful-wages will be garnished. Does any one know if this is true?

Senior - unsecured debt [ 4 Answers ]

I owe a lot of money to various credit card companies due to changes in my circumstances. I am beiing sued, but have so far avoided the subphenia. (They only came to my house today). I have not spoken with, or acknowledged any debt, either by phone or in writing. I am 68 years old and live...

3rd Party Legal Entitlement on Unsecured Debt [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, Even though this is my first post on AskMeHelpDesk, I have frequented the site on a semi-regular basis. Generally, my questions are already answered. But, I think I have a problem with this one. :confused: I have an Unsecured Debt, (Credit Card), that was charged off and sold to a...

View more questions Search