Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dvl Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 4, 2006, 10:03 PM
    Puppy biting/chewing her fur
    I have a 6 month old female westie. She has periodically chewed the fur on the front of her front legs. I've corrected her every time I've witnessed her in action. But I think she figured it out that she can chew when I'm not around and get away with it because now her front legs have bare spots and her flesh has turned pink. I've used Bitter Apple spray; she doesn't like it but I think she is used to it now. She is otherwise a healthy and good pup; eats and drinks well, and is pretty sociable. The vet doesn't think it's a big deal. I'm not convinced that's true. Any ideas?
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 5, 2006, 04:59 AM
    Hi, dvl,
    Dogs will lick their front legs sometimes; but not all dogs. One of mine started this, and had it licked down past the skin line. They can sometimes keep licking it clear to the bone!
    It can be caused by allergies.
    I highly recommend taking her to another Vet. If the one you took her to said it's "no big deal", then he/she really doesn't know.
    Take her to another Vet who realizes this could be allergies.
    You can also give her small amounts of Benedryl.
    At one time, I had to buy a doggie "lamp shade", which goes over their head, limits them to not being able to get to their front legs; recommended by my Vet when all else failed. After wearing this "shade" for about 2 weeks, the dog got out of the habit for a little while.
    I do wish you the best, and good luck.
    dvl Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2006, 11:19 AM
    Thanks for the info. I have another question... Will the fur ever grow back to its normal length? It's not completely bare, but the fur that is there has been chewed down to about 1/8 to 1/4" long. What about her skin? Will it always be that pinkish color? I can live with that, I just would like the fur to grow back and not be so noticeable and for her to not have any problems that would have caused this in the first place. I will seek out another vet. Thanks again
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 6, 2006, 07:04 AM
    Hi,
    YES, the fur (hair) will grow back. And, the skin color will eventually return to normal color.
    This is an issue that sometimes takes a long time to correct with a dog. Sometimes, they also do it "out of boredom"... nothing else to do. Then, it becomes a habit.
    I do wish you good luck.
    Hypatia Posts: 163, Reputation: 27

Apr 6, 2006, 11:55 PM
    I have heard of things called hot spots that a dog gets. (I will ask my husband, his mother is a vet and he and his sis a vet tech.) Try looking into researching that. You can also cone the dogs head for a week and see if this restriction can allow her to forget if it is just odd habit.

Hypatia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Daschund Puppy Chewing Problems... [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 7mo. Old Daschund puppy. He is the sweetest dog, but he has a MAJOR chewing problem. He has no less than six toys, gets treats twice a day, and has adapted pretty well to potty training. Unfortunately, he chews on other things as well... - carpet - baseboards (he chewed it until...

Puppy Is Still Biting! Help [ 4 Answers ]

Thank you for the advice on trying to solve my problem with my puppy's(labxgsd - now 12wks) excessive biting. I have tried holding her front legs up from behind - it works but just for a short while, 10 minutes later she comes back to bite. I have had her from 6wks - she was not that bad before. It...

Puppy Biting [ 2 Answers ]

I have an 8 week old puppy. He is constantly biting at me and the kids. Help! How can we stop this ?

Puppy chewing on rug [ 6 Answers ]

Is there a spray or something you can get to spray on things you don't want puppy to chew on? He seems to have taken a liking to my area rug and nothing seems to deter him from it. He has lots of toys he chews on but ends up back at the rug eventually. He has also started playing with the puppy...

Puppy not chewing food [ 2 Answers ]

My 3 month old cairn terrier literally wolfs down her food without chewing it - is this bad for her and how can I encourage her to chew her food properly?

View more questions Search