Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    teacher-ed Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2008, 05:51 AM
    Can I travel abroad?
    Hello there, I got married about a year ago and since then I received my Temp Permanent Resident Card. I wanted to know if I can travel with using my Temp Card outside the US. I am only trying to go to Canada. Should I leave and go?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2008, 12:49 AM
    Hi, teacher-ed!

Greetings and WELCOME to the site! I just moved your question that you had posted in Introductions to this topic area so that it would get the most exposure to those who are best able to answer it. Introductions is for people to introduce themselves and we try to not ask questions there.

We would appreciate it if you would return to Introductions sometime to tell us a little about yourself though, if you would be willing to do that.

Thanks!
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jul 23, 2008, 08:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by teacher-ed
    Hello there, I got married about a year ago and since then I recieved my Temp Permanent Resident Card. I wanted to know if I can travel with using my Temp Card outside the US. I am only trying to go to Canada. Should I leave and go?
    Green card holders can travel... including thos with 2 years condition.. no problem.

What you should know is:
    * You cannot stay outside US longer than 1 year or your permanent resident status will be revoked.
    * In case you need to leave US for longer than 1 year, you must apply for re-entry permit by submit form I-131 and get approval before you go.

It's always advised not to stay outside US more than 6 months/year as immigration officer may assume that you no longer want to live in US.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Travel abroad with green card [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my wife want to a trip soon, she a condition green card holder and have a valid passport from her country. I have read that all required of you is a valid passport and green when entering the states. Her problem is that her passport doesn't have my last name, but the green card does. My...

View more questions Search