Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wymant Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2008, 02:08 PM
    Replacement cost for a transformer
    I Had The Transformer Replaced And Was Charged $212.00. Transformer-$123.00 & Balance Labor. It Is A 3 Ton Heat Pump. Appears High To Me But I Was In A Bind. Anyone Have Idea On This.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 21, 2008, 02:22 PM
    If it was a low voltage transformer they cost 10.00 or cheaper on Ebay. Labor is labor depending upon where you live. The repair person is allowed a markup but 123.00 is a bunch of bucks. You are also paying for his knowledge of what was wrong so it could be fixed.

I think the transformer was a bit high unless it is some kind of special transformer. LOL
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2008, 02:25 PM
    From what I've paid in the past for a/c repair and furnace repair that seems about fair - unless you just happened to have the right part on your closet shelf and you repaired it yourself. Try looking up the transformer part online for a price comparison and you'll see that it's probably near that or almost near that. Plus do you have the correct diagnostic tools to do the job or the technical know how to do the job? Probably not. You paid the going rate for a house call and repair and part.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 21, 2008, 03:30 PM
    From what I've paid in the past for a/c repair and furnace repair that seems about fair

It is also possible that in the past you paid too much.

Over the years of doing service there is a mark up on parts. My cost for a 24 volt transformer today is 21.29 from a distributer. Now that is a bunch of mark up to get to 123.00.

We had to make money also to support the entire operation but our charge would have been around 50.00 for the transformer. It is possible they loaded some of the labor into the cost of the transformer. Many companies do this because the customer will accept a high part price but not high priced labor for 15 minutes of work..
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2008, 06:27 PM
    Wow,, I don`t see how some people sleep at night,, they should have some compasion for their fellow man,, this is why HVAC companies get a bum rap and ruin it for the honest working man
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2008, 07:54 PM
    There is a joke or something that actually happened where a consultant billed an exorbident price like $20,000 to fix a complex problem. He fixed it with a $5.00 part. The corporation wanted an itemized bill to which he responded.

$5.00 _________part
    $15,995________Knowing where to put it.

A service tech may lose once in a while if an intermittant problem is discovered.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much does furnace transformer cost [ 3 Answers ]

My furnace blower stopped working. I calle din a HVAC guy. He charged $159 for the transformer and $90 for the labor (30 minutes work). He calims the transformer blew out because of the A/C. the transformer he installed is 50VA 120-240. I can't believe this costs $159. Do these prices look real?

Coil Cost Replacement for Central AC/Heat [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 ton Rheem unit and the condenser coil in the attic needs to be replaced the expansion valve is sticking and the coil is leaking freon. I wanted to know approximately what this is going to cost.

Replacement Window Cost [ 27 Answers ]

My wife and I are considering replacement windows for our house. I'm not interested in having every window company in the city calling us with their best deal, but I really want to know what I'm looking at from a cost perspective. We have 16 windows in the house, most are about 35 inches wide...

Wash Sales! What to add to Cost Basis of Replacement Stock [ 3 Answers ]

So far here's what I know about wash sales. If you sell a stock at a loss and buy the same or similar stock within 30 days, its considered a wash sale. The loss you incurred from the sale gets added to the cost basis of the new replacement stock you purchased. This is easy enough if you bought...

Replacement cost for building. [ 3 Answers ]

I would to know I can calculate the replacement cost for building. If someone know how can help me I appreciate. Thank you.

View more questions Search