Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DC Kelley Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2008, 11:10 AM
    Misuse of ground wire as neutral return wire in old house
    Here a problem where the "obvious" solution scares me, need some advice on how to best proceed. My home (built 1920 with knob and tube type wiring) has been upgraded over the years by prior owners, but in many place still has active current in the old wires, in other places it is spliced into a modern wiring. A modern (correctly wired) 100 amp service panel is supported by an old fashion subsidy panel for the 2nd floor that seems to be an old (2 wire (no ground)) design where someone has spiced in 3 to 2 fashion and tied the neutral and ground wires to the same bus. This deeply offends my sensibilities, but I have never removed it (and we did not discover it before we bought the home).

Today I noticed two dead outlets in a room that has been "upgraded" to modern 3-prong plugs. The wiring appearing at the outlet is modem. Tracing back to the service panel is not possible without destruction of walls. Upon investigation with a VM, I have 75v between black and white, and 120V between black and ground. Yep you guessed it, it appears that the bare ground wire is being used as the active return rather then the neutral. At this point God alone (and perhaps the idiot builder) knows where the neutral connects, if at all.

I could perhaps "solve" this problem by connecting the ground and neutral lines (as have already been done in other places in this home), but my first fundamental question is should such a thing ever be considered proper to do? Second, how does one document such an unorthodox condition for others? I know a much better solution is to run my own wire from the panel and sikp all this suspect stuff.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 21, 2008, 01:04 PM
    The only place, within a residence, where Neutral and ground should meet up is the main panel box. Neutral and Ground are bonded together there.

To answer your question, no, you should not use the bare ground wire as the Neutral return.

However, the Neutral (White or Gray) can be used as an ungrounded (Hot) conductor. When that is done, the White or Gray conductor must be permanently re-identified, For example, use a Black Permanent Marker to place a band of Black around a White or Gray insulation to flag the conductor as a hot conductor. This should be done at both ends of the conductor.

There are common places where this is done, switch loops. The white (flagged) conductor is routed from the Hot supply in the ceiling to the IN side of a wall switch. Then a black returns from a switch to the light fixture. It is against code to use the White conductor as the return conductor. The return conductor must be black, red, blue. Never White, gray or green!

Also if you need a 240 VAC line, you can use Black as one hot side and a re-identified white as another hot with bare or green as the ground wire.

Jul 22, 2008, 01:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf
    The only place, within a residence, where Neutral and ground should meet up is the main panel box. Neutral and Ground are bonded together there.
    I agree and understand what you are saying for the main panel service box (and for the most part in this home that is where they are tied off together). Regarding my current problems, I will have the buzz out the line and track down which "white wire" is floating on the service bar. I have the tools, but it would have been nice if the last guy had documented the pannel.

Is this ever allowed in a sub panel? Or anywhere else for that mater according to code? It looks to me like it is occurring in odd hidden places in the home where the romex is spliced into the old 2-wire knob and tube lines. I have yet to see it actually at an outlet, but found it in the attic and under the stairs, etc.

Jul 25, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Bump
    Quote Originally Posted by DC Kelley
    Is this ever allowed in a sub panel? Or anywhere else for that mater according to code? It looks to me like it is occurring in odd hidden places in the home where the romex is spliced into the old 2-wire knob and tube lines. I have yet to see it actually at an outlet, but found it in the attic and under the stairs, etc.
    Solved the initial problem, bad connection at the bus par in the service panel. But the above issue remain where the original 2-wire knob-tube style is tied to the new neutral and ground at a some odd points along the run (and black to the other side). I need to learn if this is a liability that needs to be addressed, or just an accepted practice in such an old home.
    clintster Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2013, 12:31 PM
    What you have is a loose connection at the neutral or a break in the neutral, they are most likely not using the bare as the neutral, If you are showing any voltage at all on the natural than mostly likely it is a loose connection. You will always show full voltage between the hot and the ground. (Duh)
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Oct 4, 2013, 02:07 PM
    clintster, bear in mind what we have here is a five year old thread. It's probably safe to say the issue has been resolved.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using the ground or (bare) wire for the neutral wire [ 2 Answers ]

I have a problem with some wiring that I ran for an outside motion light. Although the hot leg and ground wires are fine, the neutral wire is defective ( it may have gotten knicked or something). Of course, now the wiring is covered up behind a wall that I do not want to tear into if it can be...

Neutral wire used as a ground? [ 3 Answers ]

I have been changing switches and plugs and in one of the receptical boxes I found the neutral wire pigtailed to the side of the box, and when I installed the new receptical there was no circuit until I did the same, pigtailed to the box... is this safe?:confused:

Is it okay to use bare wire as neutral? Okay to share ground? [ 53 Answers ]

Our house was built in 2003 and it came with a GE 24" microwave oven that uses 120 volts/20 Amp. The microwave stops working so we went out and bought a KitchenAid convection microwave oven that requires 20 Amp, 240 volts, 60 Hertz. The old microwave oven uses 12/2 w/g romex from a subpanel. ...

Can you use Metal Conduit as ground to convert 2 wire to 3 wire? [ 3 Answers ]

I need to convert an old cinder block house from 2 wire outlets to 3 wire by adding a ground to all outlets. Since the entire house is cinder block, all the circuits from the basement breaker box are in flexible metal conduit and metal outlet boxes... Is it possible to use the metal conduit...

Neutral wire is hot(has voltage potential like the black wire) [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, The problem started at midnight last week. One of my line in the basement is starting to have issue whenever I connect a water pump or appliances to the outlets. Before I plug the appliance in, the neutral is neutral(zero voltage), but when I plug the appliance in, the neutral is now...

View more questions Search