Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    letshegobohlolo Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2008, 02:18 AM
    Probation laws
    I've been employed by a civils and construction company as a wages clerk from 03/03/08 and was on probation for three months. Now as discussed when signing my contract, the human resource manager said I will be on probation for three months then I will be permanent there after. Now because my financial manager and I have not being seeing eye to eye,he says he wants to review my performance and commitment before he can take me as permanent. Can he do this and do I have a leg to stand on? Is this a way of dismissing me constructively? Please help, as I really need this job.
    ChihuahuaMomma Posts: 7,378, Reputation: 608
    Vision Expert

Jul 21, 2008, 03:05 AM
    This is totally normal. There is usually a three-six month probationary period. After which they review your performance and decide if you are the best fit for the job or if you need to search out a better job for yourself. Of course they can do this. I've never had a job where they didn't.

What exactly is it that you and your boss are not seeing eye to eye on? Is your criticism constructive?

Jul 21, 2008, 03:59 AM
    My Boss is just power hungry.He believes the more people you fire the more powerful you will be to your superious. He makes a fuss about being five minutes late,to me only but other employees is just normal to come in late and leave early just like what he normally does. My work is always up tp date and I always offer help to my colleagues if they need it. So its probably becos I'm the only black person in the company.
    Vision Expert

Jul 21, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Or do you think its because you are the only one on probation? I wouldn't go around assuming that he's racist just because he's harder on you. Perhaps he just expects more from you, because you are the one that set that standard.

Jul 25, 2008, 06:43 AM
    I understand your point, but workplace is about proffesionalism.I believe every employee should be treated the same regardless of how long you have been employed or the colour of your skin.
    Vision Expert

Jul 25, 2008, 11:30 AM
    Unfortunately, that's not the case. If you just started a job, you have to prove that you are good enough for that job. Simple as that.
    katblk63 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2008, 06:53 PM
    If you was on probation for a year and you have one more month and you have a warren out after the month was over would that warren go away
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 15, 2008, 07:24 PM
    Unless you are employed in a union job, or have some employment contract, probation is really nothing, since they can review and fire you in most places at any time for any reason. ** based on employment in the US
    felgar Posts: 26, Reputation: 2

Jun 1, 2009, 09:57 AM
    In most companies, probationary period of employement is usually 3 to 6 months. This means that during this period, you are under the scrutiny of your superiors. Your total package as an employee, including, but not limited to, your job performance, your employee-employer relationship, your attendance and everything are under observation.
    In short, you are expected to undertake your job satisfactorily and must have shown some potentials.

Therefore, it is just proper for your superior to review your records before you get regular. If you do not met their requirements, you will be notified in writing before the 6-months probationary period ends. Good luck!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probation laws [ 3 Answers ]

I am trying to get transferred from Colorado to Missouri and my probation officer is refusing to submit my transfer papers, is there any way I can get transferred? My probation officer told me that Missouri would not accept me but I have already talked to them about the transfer and they said that...

Probation Laws [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. I was wondering if anyone can help me out with a couple of questions. My husband is on probation right now and he was sentenced to 3 years. In June of this year it will be 2 years. When he went to his probation officer, and told her he was going to see if he could be let off early. She told...

DUI laws in PA regarding probation violation [ 2 Answers ]

In 2000, I was convicted of DUI, 1st offense. I completed the ARD program, and was on probation for another year. During my probation, my P.O. attempted to break into my house, and when I went to see what was going on, he burst in, and there was 1/2 of a bottle of beer on my coffee table. Yes, I...

Probation laws? [ 1 Answers ]

My dad is under provision and because he is going through a nasty divorce he ended up in jail for a misunderstanding. The probation officer asked him where his keys were and nothing more.. then we find out she went to his house and searched it, he is not allowed to have guns and my 12 year old...

Probation laws [ 1 Answers ]

I am on probation in New York state. They have changed my probation officer 3 times. My new one is being a royal bi.ch. She told me on many occasions that if I miss one app or if I am even five minutes late she is going to file a violation. She is also telling me that if I miss my counseling app...

View more questions Search