Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Always_helping Posts: 76, Reputation: 15

Jul 20, 2008, 10:13 PM
    Non-denominational / nondenom criticisms
    I want to know: What are the criticisms of non-denominational churches and/or movements?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 20, 2008, 10:20 PM
    No criticisms. Live and let live is my policy.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2008, 04:07 AM
    I, also, would not use the word "criticize", however I do have 1.5 cents worth.

I do not believe that there is any such thing as "non-denominational". Any group calling itself such is actually not unlike any number of other "protestant" churches/movements.

Show me the doctrines, mission, manual or creed of a group calling itself "non-denominational" and I'll show you a "denomination" with the same beliefs.
    savedsinner7 Posts: 412, Reputation: 52

Jul 21, 2008, 05:10 AM
    Non-denominational simply means that we are not subject to a governing body outside of our local church leadership. We have doctrine, mission statements etc. Our head pastor is the decision maker, not some outside entity. We are under the authority of the Holy Spirit.

Can't speak for any other church, just how ours works.
    sndbay Posts: 1,447, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2008, 10:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Always_helping
    I want to know: What are the criticisms of non-denominational churches and/or movements?
    Daily I study with a Chapel that is completely independent; therefore they are not affiliated with any other church, denomination or group. The statement of faith this Chapel provide meets with the Word of God.

Shepherd's Chapel - Statement of Faith - Page 1

Because they teach YHVH ("I Am That I Am" and Hebrew for the Sacred Name of God), Yahshua (Hebrew for God's Saviour Jesus) and the Holy Spirit. When you speak the Truth it is the Holy Spirit manifesting Himself through you. I personally believe God has directed my path to this Chapel in an answer to my prayers. For I did seek to find answers, and did find them one early morning after prayer devotion in my home. There on TV was the Chapel's boardcast 6:00 a.m..
    This Chapel studys God's Word in a unique verse by verse, chapter by chapter and Book by Book methodology. They don't leave anything out. They hold Bible classes on a college level which are freely available to all.

These classes and study have made a huge difference in my life. I thank God for this messenger, The Shepherds Chapel. I know the reality of God and all His blessings.
    Tj3 Posts: 3,028, Reputation: 112
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2008, 11:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Always_helping
    To be fair, I don't think that one can provide a response to such a braod question. Non-denominational churches come in all sorts of variety from the very good and very sound, to the completely heretical and indeed dangerous. Some denominations claim to be nondenominational also (Church of Christ for example) - do you include those denominations as non-denominational?

To get an answer which does not unfairly lump in sound churches with the unsound, I think that you would need to be more specific in the scope of your question.
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2008, 11:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJ
    I do not believe that there is any such thing as "non-denominational".
    I disagree. None of the 1st century churches belonged to a denomination.
    Any group calling itself such is actually not unlike any number of other "protestant" churches/movements.
    Just because a church believes similar things to a denomination does not mean that they are under the same structure or leadership as the denomination, nor would they be affected by subsequent changes that affect a denomination.
    Not all non-denominational churches are protestant or affiliated with Catholic denominations.
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2008, 12:49 PM
    Tj3 I would agree, just as it was true when asked how scripture alone could be enough when scripture says the Church is the Pillar and Ground of Truth. That was difficult because which church is sound and unsound? Which church teaches Truth and which one does not? We know Christ is not a structure but Chirst is the Temple. He is not a day but Christ is the Sabbath. My heart would tell me Christ is the Master, He is the Rock, Christ is All.

So like many discussion to be fair, as Tj3 pointed out, which does not unfairly lump in sound churches with the unsound churches.

My opinion and heart says be wise like the 3 wisemen and follow the "Star" of David.

John 7:17 If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or [whether] I speak of myself.
    John 7:18 He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory: but he that seeketh his glory that sent him, the same is true, and no unrighteousness is in him.

Revelation 22:16 I Jesus have sent mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the root and the offspring of David, [and] the bright and morning "star."
    Always_helping Posts: 76, Reputation: 15

Jul 21, 2008, 08:42 PM
    Thank you all for your contributions... I appreciate it
    0rphan Posts: 1,282, Reputation: 240
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 07:44 AM
    WE are all as good as each other... but not better than each other

There will always be someone to critizis something that we do in our lives...
    Ultra Member

Jul 23, 2008, 05:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 0rphan
    WE are all as good as each other...but not better than each other
    Agreed. Scripture says that we are all sinners in need of a Saviour, and there is nothing that we can do to pay even the fraction of the price for our sin. Therefore none of us have anything of merit to get us into heaven - that is why receiving Jesus as Saviour is essential.
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 04:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tj3
    Agreed. Scripture says that we are all sinners in need of a Saviour, and there is nothing that we can do to pay even the fraction of the price for our sin. Therefore none of us have anything of merit to get us into heaven - that is why receiving Jesus as Saviour is essential.
    And I agree Tj3 there is nothing that we can do to pay for our sins. Christ was given all things by The Father into His hands, and Christ is who will blot out all transgressions for His own sake. There is nothing man can do of his own pride to make a difference towards his own sin or anyone else's. (scripture noted below)

John 3:35 The Father loveth the Son, and hath given all things into his hand.

Isaiah 43:25 I, [even] I, [am] he that blotteth out thy transgressions for mine own sake, and will not remember thy sins.

However we do also need to understand that we reap what we sow here on earth. So living here on earth we should live righteously=(in good standing with God). That our works of righteousness benefits us with blessings here on earth, and will be as refer: the white linen worn in heaven. (not that this is clothing but more as spiritual light that surrounds you)

Revelation 19:8 And to her was granted that she should be arrayed in fine linen, clean and white: for the fine linen is the righteousness of saints.

Reaping what you sow can be as David experienced when satan provoked David's pride.
    1 Chronicles 21:1 And Satan stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.

This is what satan does so offer in man. Putting yourself or pride to what you achieve to credit by your own hand, rather then acknowledging that God has blessed you.

Eps 5:8-10 For ye were sometimes darkness, but now [are ye] light in the Lord: walk as children of light: (For the fruit of the Spirit [is] in all goodness and righteousness and truth;Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.

David did what some men would do today, in thinking, look at what I have, look at my home, my car, my career. When in Truth you should be thankful and acknownledge God for that which you have, and rebuke satan in Jesus's name for prideful thoughts. David paid dearly for his mistake in reaping what he sowed.

However remember too, David was a good example in his love for God.

So there is benefit to works here and there.
    kindj Posts: 253, Reputation: 105

Aug 8, 2008, 10:12 AM
    Having been a long-time member of a particular denomination and now am in an inter/non-denominational church, I can see the strengths and weaknesses of each to some degree.

I have no criticisms of either--so long as they are serving the Lord as best they know how, who am I to throw stones?

However, I do sometimes have some concerns about the non-denominational thing.

For one: Even though it's nice to not have to step in time with some organizational structure (that the congregation or member might not agree with), I often worry about a congregation becoming TOO independent. A network of similarly-minded groups is often a great support tool and help in many circumstances. For instance, what might be impossible for one small congregation to do alone (perhaps raise a certain dollar amount to meet some need in the community) becomes much easier the more people are involved.

Second: No one lives forever on this earth, and that applies to ministers and pastors as well. The lines/"rules"/procedures for selecting a new leader are often hazy at best or completely non-existant. However, I counter this by saying that I believe if a group is earnestly seeking the Lord and His wisdom, He will be faithful to honor that, and will guide them on the proper course.

There's my two-bits' worth.

DK
    tsila1777 Posts: 138, Reputation: 18

Aug 8, 2008, 10:54 PM
    Show me the doctrines, mission, manual or creed of a group calling itself "non-denominational" and I'll show you a "denomination" with the same beliefs.

Our mission statement is 'help the hurting and save the lost' No, we do not mean 'we' actually do the saving. All Christians should have the same beliefs…Christ died for our sins and we must accept His sacrifice and live holy before Him in love; to obey His commandments to Love God and love our neighbors.

Our doctrines, mission, manual or creeds are in plan view as you walk toward to sanctuary, the Ten Commandments. We also are partners with several other churches in our area of different denominations, we support a 'store', each church contributes money and time to support those who are in need of financial help because of sickness or losing a job we help them to make house payments etc. We 'sell' clothes and other things at very low cost; we give boxes of food to those who need it. By showing the Love of God, we bring many to Christ. We support several mission in other countries and here at home. This is our mission.

Our creed, which is boldly displayed, is 'a place where you are loved and accepted'. You cannot walk to your seat without a dozen or more people giving you a hug or shaking your hand. We always welcome new people, and are instructed by the pastor to make extra effort to make them feel welcome, and to bring someone with us next week.

Our manual is the Word of God. We have no other doctrines than those taught by God in His Word.

Peace and love in Christ.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Managerial Criticisms for Profit Maximising Firm [ 1 Answers ]

What is the managerial criticisms of the profit maximising firm? :eek:

What to do in order not to be affected by negative criticisms? [ 4 Answers ]

What should I do so I won't get affected by negative comments and criticisms? I always have this problem when people act differently with me. I feel I did something wrong or they don't like me even though it is only me thinking about it. Guess that is the reason why I don't want to let go when...

View more questions Search