Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    timorousme Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2008, 09:32 PM
    Theft under $5000, second offence
    So, I was charged with theft under $5000 6 months ago, and since it was my first offence, I was able to retain a lawyer and successfully get a diversion.

However, the other day, I was in a grocery store, and I realized I had forgotten my bank card. I left to go home and pick it up, but had an incredible brain fart and walked out with a few groceries in my hand. I was immediately apprehended by a store detective, who called the police, and I was charged with theft under $5000 again.

Since this is my second offence, I realize a diversion is out of the question, but since I no intent to actually steal these groceries, is there any hope to avoid a criminal record this time around?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 20, 2008, 10:23 PM
    And who is going to believe you had no intention of stealing the groceries if you already had that problem once before, and fairly recently, I might add ? Your credibility is at stake and I don't think you can avoid a criminal record now.
    timorousme Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2008, 10:35 PM
    Good to know I ruined my life on $18 worth of groceries

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft under $5000.00 first time offence [ 2 Answers ]

I was recently questioned about the disappearance of thousands of dollars and 2500 tshirts being stolen from my former place of employment. I have no knowledge on this matter and highly doubt it even occurred. What I believe is the owner is trying to avoid paying their supplier for product...

Theft under 5000. First offence? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I see that there are many questions with the same topic... but I haven't seen anyone with the same situation as I do... so here's my question... I was caught by undercover security while shoplifting at walmart with a friend of mine. The total of the things came to around $50... the police...

First time offence: Theft under $5000 [ 2 Answers ]

I am a 22 year old female living in Ontario, Canada. I was recently arrested at a local Canadian Tire for stealing two power tools. I never actually left the premises as I was stopped at the door. This is my first offence and I am very scared. I was trying to make money as I do happen to have a...

First offence theft under $5000 [ 7 Answers ]

Today I was arrested for shoplifting at walmart. It was about $75 worth of makeup(3 items).. my court date isn't for over a month... does anyone know the outcome for something like this?!

Theft under 5000 2nd offence [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew the average sentencing of this offence for a minor and if I will have a worse sentence because of a prior charge. I was drinking one night when I came across some merchandise that the cops planted the stuff and they caught me taking it they told me because I was...

View more questions Search