Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2006, 06:53 PM
    Oh, just a side note, there where many types of plastic type flue pipes allowed in the USA and where recalled. If this is the case all the pipe needs to be replaced.
    rickdb1 Posts: 185, Reputation: 15

Oct 23, 2006, 06:55 PM
    He is not talking about the furnace, he is talking about the water heater.
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2006, 07:43 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickdb1
    Well. it looks as though there is no reducer where it attaches to the water heater. And it looks like there is corrosion at the water heater and also at the joints toward the chimney. It looks like a jerry rigged job to me....

What? No draft diverter, How can this draft properly? This would never be allowed by code in my area.
    donkeykong Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2006, 06:19 PM
    NothernHeat thanks for your input. Man, my landlord is a punk. He just seems to not care whatsoever. I'm thinking of taking legal action.
    Well I found the pix. Here they are:
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2006, 09:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donkeykong
    NothernHeat thx for your input. Man, my landlord is a punk. He just seems to not care whatsoever. I'm thinking of taking legal action.
    well i found the pix. Here they are:
    You should have a CO detector near a bedroom. Call you local building inspector. Heating and air conditioning division. Could be city or county run.

Oct 25, 2006, 07:59 AM
    I have a detector which can goes off if there's either co or natural gas present. It's located on the same floor as the furnace and water heater. It hasn't gone if yet, maybe it isn't sensitive enough?

Oct 29, 2006, 02:49 PM
    If I take these pix to an inspector/investigator or my lawyer, can they determine from them that the exhaust pipe was damaged?
    mikebobdan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2006, 05:41 PM
    Read all post but not understanding which vent you replace water heater or furnace. Water heater vent looks like a dual vent ,intake and exhaust, and would be fine if outside is not completely sealed as long as inside is. If you haven't replaced furnace exhaust you need to as soon as possible.

Nov 12, 2006, 08:23 PM
    Mike, I've replaced the water heater pipe (aluminum one). Most of the experts suggested that it should be replaced immediately because it wasn't installed properly.

Feb 4, 2007, 09:18 PM
    Just an update. Last Tuesday, another inspector came to inspect our new pipes. He told that me that everything looked good. I told him about our previous exhaust pipes and how they had been poorly repaired. He responded by saying that it was the furnace company's responsibility to send them (the repairmen) a replacement pipe. He said that they (furnace comp.) also applied white sealant to the pipes (similiar to what you see in the pix) which sounded strange to me. Why would they if there's no crack to begin with?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Natural gas pipe in bsmt is touching gas pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a house and in the basement the single wall furnace flue is touching the dark iron natural gas pipe, just before it enters the brick chimney , the water heater also has single wall flue that runs through wood structure. The previous owner put coffee cans around the flue, he cut off...

PSA Important Information: Ransomware Trojan cracked [ 2 Answers ]

This is a new attack, where by the victims files are pack in to an encrypted file and the password is only released after a "ransom" is paid. For the full piece read on: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/06/ransomeware_trojan/

Cracked cast iron bell [ 6 Answers ]

cracked cast iron bell -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have been remodeling amy bathroom and the toilet flange was some kind of metal going into the cast iron drain pipe. I cut the metal down to the cast iron then took out the metal in the...

Cracked Heels [ 1 Answers ]

This is actually not a question but an advise to those who have really dry, ugly heels... Try putting lotion or Petroleum jelly on the dry part and put on socks afterwards. This will help keeping the heels moistened and after a few days, you'll get good results. ;)

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search