donkeykong Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Apr 10, 2006, 09:12 AM
    Thanks fred
    Here r the pics:
    Attached Images

RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2006, 09:18 AM
    I only see evidence of a cracked exhaust vent in the first one... and it's coming off your water tank, not your furnace (same problem, though, with either).

Is there something in the 2nd two pics we should be noticing also?

Apr 12, 2006, 07:37 PM
    Sorry for taking so long to respond. I've been busy with exams and assignments. Rickj, the crack I'm talking about is in the second picture. It's on the top left hand corner. The repairman applied white adhesive on it and apparently that didn't not solve the problem, according to the inspector.
    There's a cracked exhaust vent coming out the water tank as well?:eek:
    What should I do about that?
    Also in the third pic, you can see rust on the base of the furnace. The inspector said it was due to the cracked pipe.
    Thanks again
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 13, 2006, 04:20 AM
    I hope tk will "pipe in" :p on this one and give his take: That pipe in the 2nd pic is plastic... so definitely not exhaust... but frankly, I don't know what it is.

I can't tell if that duct over the water tank is OK or not. If that goo in the joints is made for exhaust ducts, then it might be OK... that is, if it's sealed good.
    rickdb1 Posts: 185, Reputation: 15

Apr 13, 2006, 07:37 AM
    In the first picture, the 2 black PVC pipes coming out of the top of the furnace are the fresh air intake for combustion and the other is for hot gas exhaust. Both go outside. This is a 90%+ efficiency furnace. The part with the sealant on it is the draft motor exhaust piping. This basically provides fresh air to the burners for combustion. You should not see any problems with carbon monoxide due to the sealer on this piping, as it is not exhaust gas related... It should be replaced correctly, though...

Apr 16, 2006, 07:58 AM
    Thanks you guys for your help
    rickdb1, you said the 2 black pipes coming out of the furnace are for fresh air intake, then which leasd the exhaust outside?
    The second inspector actually said the opposite of what you said. He told me that our furnace was an older model and that it should be replaced soon. Maybe he's on commission?
    Thanks again
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 16, 2006, 02:32 PM
    The inspector does not get commission to report a defective unit, and possibly save someone from injury.

And any inspector that can be proven to be fraudulent or taking kickbacks will be subject to criminal charges.

Appears you misread rickdb1's answer:

"the 2 black PVC pipes coming out of the top of the furnace are the fresh air intake for combustion and the other is for hot gas exhaust. Both go outside."

Notice I said "Condensing", this can be an added source of moisture causing the corrosion of the furnace.

As he stated, this is a high efficiency unit,called a Condensing Furnace, one of the plastic pipes is for exhaust,

Plastic pipe can be used for the combustion gases exhaust because the furnace extracts so much of the heat, the exhaust is only warm, but still lethal with the all the normal combustion gases.

Apr 17, 2006, 01:21 PM
    You, he most likely doesn't.
    I've been pretty busy these last few weeks and my brain is fried, so my bad for misreading rick's post.
    So the cracked pipe is not for hot gat exhaust, but I should get it replaced immediately? And it doesn't pose any health hazards? An inspector is going to come in tomorrow and inspect the furnace and water heater. What kinds for questions should I ask him?
    Sorry if I sound like a noob, I don't know anything about these things.
    Later
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2006, 02:08 PM
    Since the plastic pipe that is cracked is for fresh air intake into the furnace, I do not believe that it is an immediate concern.

However the flue pipe for the water heater that is cracked, thou sealed, needs to be replaced, along with any corroded metal flue pipe duct.

To save money, if a repair tech visits to repair the water heater, then it will be cheaper to repair/replace the cracked plastic pipe at the same time, rather than having another visit.

Also any corrosion in the furnace must be checked, and repaired or replaced as necessary.

The inspector stated the furnace needs to be replaced, ask why. Ask how long will it last, when will it need to be replaced.

Who actually owns the home? Who ever is the owner is responsible for paying for the repairs. Will the inspector produce a demand letter or written directive to the owner to effect repairs in a certain time, or the unit will be shut down?

First tech did a repair, second tech tells you the repair is not correct. Ask the inspector if the repair is OK or not OK, and if not OK then what can be done about the first tech that did the improper repair. The first tech should incur some sort of repercussion for performing faulty work.

Ask the inspector about CO poisoning, and if the existing conditions are causing CO to leak into the air that the occupants are breathing.

You state the landlord had the unit(s) inspected recently. Who did the inspection, and passed a faulty condition? This person should be reprimanded also.

14 days has passed since you first asked about this, if there is a chance of CO contamination, I sure hope the heating season is over where you live, to avoid any health problems.

Get back with the results of the inspection, let us know how you make out.

Apr 24, 2006, 10:52 AM
    Sorry for taking so long to reply. I had my last few exams last week, and during the weekend I was chilling with my cousins.
    Since the plastic pipe that is cracked is for fresh air intake into the furnace...
    Didn't the pipe crack because of condensation?
    However the flue pipe for the water heater that is cracked, thou sealed, needs to be replaced, along with any corroded metal flue pipe duct.
    Do you have any idea why the inspector wouldn't mention this? Should I get the whole pipe replaced?
    The inspector stated the furnace needs to be replaced every 8-10 years, depending on the model

Who actually owns the home? Who ever is the owner is responsible for paying for the repairs. Will the inspector produce a demand letter or written directive to the owner to effect repairs in a certain time, or the unit will be shut down?
    The owner of the home is our landlord. So if the repairman does the repairs, I should ask for a bill and give it to the landlord?

Ask the inspector about CO poisoning, and if the existing conditions are causing CO to leak into the air that the occupants are breathing.
    I'll do that. Actually a little while ago, someone came to test our smoke alarm. I asked him about getting a co detector, but he said there was no need. He said that if there had been a co leak, I wouldn't be talking to him. He was a young guy, probably didn't know what he was talking about.
    The company that the landlord hired is called haris or harry, something like that.
    The heating season is just about over. We're actually living in our cos' house.

Get back with the results of the inspection, let us know how you make out.[/QUOTE]
    Unfortunately, the inspector arrived more than an hour and a half after he was scheduled to arrive. I waited for him for an hour an a half but I had to leave to write an exam. I called the inspection company a few times but I kept getting a message.

May 8, 2006, 01:47 PM
    No responses yet?
    I've been away for the last few days. A couple friends and cousins and I drove to thunder bay. It took about 13 hours, and we spent more than a week there.
    I went hom eht other day and I found that the cracked furnace pipe is in fact the exhaust pipe. I could see the exhaust coming out of it from outside.

May 31, 2006, 06:14 PM
    Well, I got a repairman to fix the water boiler exhaust pipe. Thanks for the suggestions.
    However, I can smell natural gas while I'm in the backyard. It's pretty strong and can be smelt from quite a few meters away. Is this normal? What can I do about it?
    Thanks
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2006, 05:20 AM
    Call the repair man back, it may be raw gas you smell, or it may be the exhaust fumes you smell, it is worth having it checked to be 100% sure.
    dave.croucher Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 3, 2006, 10:42 PM
    Obviously you have a high efficiant furnace,this is plastic pipe right?go to you local hardware store by a new length of pipe,some glue and a coupling.take a piece of the old stuff in so you get the right size.then go to home depot or rona and get a digital readout co detector they seem to pick up lower volumes of co

Jun 8, 2006, 01:14 PM
    No, actually the water heater exhause pipe is aluminum, I'm pretty sure.
    I told the landlord about this as well, but he shrugged it off. I reminded him that he was wrong before. He responded by saying that it is normal to be smelling it. I seriously feel like I'm talking to a brick wall sometimes. I'll call the inspectors today.

Aug 24, 2006, 03:21 PM
    Well, we took care of all the problems including the leak outside. Now we're having trouble getting the landlord to pay for the repairs. He has admitted that he made mistakes dealing with us and there were problems with the water heater and flue pipes.

Oct 3, 2006, 03:54 PM
    Hello again. Can you guys look at the first pic that I uploaded again and let me know whether you guys think the water heater flue pipe looks damaged.
    I've already replaced it but I need everyone's opinion. Thanks
    rickdb1 Posts: 185, Reputation: 15

Oct 3, 2006, 04:13 PM
    Well. It looks as though there is no reducer where it attaches to the water heater. And it looks like there is corrosion at the water heater and also at the joints toward the chimney. It looks like a jerry rigged job to me...

Oct 23, 2006, 06:44 PM
    I will be posting some more pix of the flue pipe I replaced. Just got to find them on my comp.
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Oct 23, 2006, 06:51 PM
    Sorry Rick. If it is a 90% furnace it is vented in PVC pipe. Moisture will deffinatly condesate and drip in the exhaust that is why a 90+ is called a condensing furnace and is vented in PVC. Have the section replaced ASAP.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Natural gas pipe in bsmt is touching gas pipe [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought a house and in the basement the single wall furnace flue is touching the dark iron natural gas pipe, just before it enters the brick chimney , the water heater also has single wall flue that runs through wood structure. The previous owner put coffee cans around the flue, he cut off...

PSA Important Information: Ransomware Trojan cracked [ 2 Answers ]

This is a new attack, where by the victims files are pack in to an encrypted file and the password is only released after a "ransom" is paid. For the full piece read on: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/06/06/ransomeware_trojan/

Cracked cast iron bell [ 6 Answers ]

cracked cast iron bell -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I have been remodeling amy bathroom and the toilet flange was some kind of metal going into the cast iron drain pipe. I cut the metal down to the cast iron then took out the metal in the...

Cracked Heels [ 1 Answers ]

This is actually not a question but an advise to those who have really dry, ugly heels... Try putting lotion or Petroleum jelly on the dry part and put on socks afterwards. This will help keeping the heels moistened and after a few days, you'll get good results. ;)

Bathroom sink wall pipe drain pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in early 70's.. No plastic.. I'm putting in a new sink and had to remove the wall pipe that goes into the wall.. I needed a longer one. It seem where it goes in behind the wall into the plumbing there was some type of gasket as pieces of it fell out when I removed the pipe.. I...

View more questions Search