Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Beakman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2006, 11:25 PM
    91 civic starting problems
    Hello, my 91 civic hatchback dx suddenly quit while driving--as if it ran out of fuel, and I couldn't get her going again. The usual dash lights work when key turned to position 2 and the fuel pump primes for 2 seconds. The check engine light does not come on. The starter turns the motor over easily but it doesn't even try to catch. There is no fuel smell from the exhaust after turning the motor over many times. I checked the timing belt by seeing the valvetrain move as I rolled it forward in gear. The ECU only blinks once when key turned to position 2. Is it possible the main relay is gone even though the fuel pump primes and there is no ECU code? Can a fuel filter suddenly kill the motor driving at about 60 km/hr? The entire distributor is only 2 years old and the car has 186k. The car always did need to be turned over a few times before it would start--unless it was already warmed up. Also, if I didn't turn the key from position 2 to 3 smoothly--after waiting the 2 seconds to prime, I would hear a relay chatter. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank You
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2006, 07:41 PM
    Check for a bad MAP sensor, which affects timing and fuel/air mixture. If it fails, you won't get spark. Replacements are expensive, so shop around. A failing MAP sensor often manifests itself in the relay chatter you describe. Apparently, the MAP sensors on many of these older Civics are starting to fail.
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23

Jun 18, 2006, 02:08 AM
    Check if you're getting a spark. If not, you might have a shot igniter unit.

Also, you might have problems with your ignition switch.
    hellcarrier67 Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

May 10, 2007, 07:31 PM
    Are you actually getting fuel pressure, or are you just hearing the pump come on?
    brandy681 Posts: 295, Reputation: 26

May 10, 2007, 10:04 PM
    I had this problem with my 1991 civic and it was a rotor switch and spark plugs. I was told by my trusted mechanic, although they replaced both I honestly think it was the rotor switch that was bad because I replaced the spark plugs and wires only months earlier.. I don't this is a "fuel" related problem but it could be possible. Common reasons would be rotor switch, spark plugs and wires, battery, alternator, battery cables, ignition, or more serious problems would be fuel pump or fuel injection related although I think you are definitely looking in the wrong place here.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

'91 honda civic starting problems [ 18 Answers ]

Hi: I am having problems with my '91 Honda civic DX when I drive for a while, then I stop the engine for 5-10 minutes to do some shopping or whatever... and then try to start again. It doesn't start at all. But if I wait another 5 or 10 minutes and I try again, usually starts. I don't have any...

91 Honda Civic DX Starting Problems [ 2 Answers ]

My honda civic dx has a hard time starting sometimes. This only happens occasionally but it'll turn over, but just won't ever start. It happened first about a month ago and is happening once a day now. I replaced the spark plugs and I don't know what else to do.

'95 Honda Civic DX stalling/starting problems [ 4 Answers ]

Last night my car stalled out on me after I made a right turn. When I eased it into a parking spot it refused to start back up. Doing some checks it cranks but there seems to be no fuel hitting the engine(sorry not too familiar with the inner workings of the car). I thought it might be the...

90 civic si starting problems... (sound familiar?) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi guys boy am I glad I stubled on this site! Well let me start by saying I have read through every thread in here and found none that are simmular to my problem. I just bought a project car from the police auction it is a 90 civic si. The problem that I have is when I turn the key all I...

View more questions Search