Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    The3Thomases Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2006, 09:35 PM
    Integrated keypad and control panel
    We have been shopping around for a security system for a while. Lately we have been talking to a company called Monitronics and they have offered us 5 doors, 4 windows, one smoke, and one glass breaker for 210 dollars. Our concern is that their system does not have a separate control panel. Everything is integrated into the key pad. Should we be concerned about that or can those systems be trusted?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2006, 11:46 AM
    We had a home security system in our previous home that had everything integrated in the keypad unit. We were very happy with it.

Has someone told you that a system with a control panel separate from the keypad should be desired over one with everything integrated in the keypad unit?
    The3Thomases Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 5, 2006, 11:59 AM
    Hi Rick,

We were told that since the control panel, which is the security systems brain, is integrated with the key pad, someone can easily break in and smash the key pad with a crow bar before the delay is up. Therefore no signal will reach the monitor station.
    I also read that the quality is usually not that great on those systems.
    Thanks for your feed back.

Becky
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 5, 2006, 12:44 PM
    Eh, I can see those points.

Do yourself a favor and get as many reviews of the product as you can. Google is great for that. Just search like this
    "System you are considering"reviews
    (be sure to put the system you are considering in quotes).

Another good search is
    compare home security systems

Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 12, 2007, 03:58 PM
    They make good quality, capable integrated keypad/control panels.
    Problem is, Smashing wth crowbar works effectively to disable dialing and siren.
    If you feel you must use this type. Use Keyfob to Arm/Disarm with no Delay.
    At least you may get a blast from siren and maybe data to receiver before they destroy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which panel should I go with? [ 5 Answers ]

Greetings all, I am need of replacing an old Pushmatic Service Panel. The only breakers I can find for it are on e-bay. Plus I need to add a sub-panel in the garage for the new addition my wife wants. (She gets a walk-in closet and a bigger master bathroom with a tub and a separate shower, I get...

Control 2 AC units with 1 panel [ 2 Answers ]

I have a new 2 story home with 2 AC units. One upstairs and one down. How can I control the upstairs thermostat from downstairs? Ok, I'm lazy!

Installing wireless mouse & num keypad [ 11 Answers ]

I have a compaq evi n610c, secondhand, but it doesn't recognize the USB wireless mouse. I'm not sure what I need to do. Any ideas?

125 amp sub panel [ 5 Answers ]

What size wire do I need to pull for a 125 amp sub panel. Thank you

Can not open "Display" item on Control Panel HELP ! [ 2 Answers ]

When trying to open the "display" applet inside Control Panel I get a message stating that the system administrator has disabled the miniapp "video" on control panel. I am the administrator om my Windows XP computer and did not do this. Can anyone help me plesae ? Thanks : Mauro

View more questions Search