Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nomoney4 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2008, 08:34 PM
    Should I or Should I not gave up my right to my child(my the DAD)!
    OK I was with this girl and we were not togather for very long but we ended up have a child togather and she wants me to sing over my right to her! But my question is what is the point in doing this if she can still try to get child support from me anyway! I will been helping her out with the baby and everything, and she says that she is not going to put me on child support but what if I gave up my rights and then she try to get child support then what could I do? Nothing?

Thank you for your help!
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jul 19, 2008, 08:38 PM
    You will always have financial responsibilities for your child.
    charlotte234s Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 143
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 01:09 AM
    Unless you don't want any part in the child's life besides sending money, don't give up your rights.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 06:27 AM
    What state are you in? In every state it is hard to get a judge to allow a TPR but some states do not continue child support after one is granted (not many). You have a better chance at going to court to ask for a visitation order be put in place that way you can see her on a regular basis.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 20, 2008, 06:30 AM
    Well first unless this is going though the courts it is normally not binding. But what it does, if allowed, it stops you from seeing the child, it stops you from having the child over at your home ever It stops you from having a say in the child's school or anything.

So what does it do for you, nothing.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 06:43 AM
    Ideally, if you want to be any part of your child's life you would want joint custody. This would have to be arranged through the courts. This way, as Fr_Chuck stated you will still be able to see your child, get reports from school about how he/she is doing, have access to medical information. If you are paying support you should still have some rights.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gave a 30-day notice [ 2 Answers ]

I Gave A 30-day Notice I've Never Had To Give One Before My Question Is Once I Give The Notice Am I Required To Pay Any Money During The 30 Days... jerome >Moved from Forum Help<

Dog just gave birth [ 2 Answers ]

My dog just had four puppies three days ago but she won't eat anything but cheerios. I tried everything mixing the cheerios with dog food, dry and soft. My vet said she need all the food she can get because she is feeding the puppies. She needs to it other healthy stuff too. What can I do? Please...

Does a person who gave up their rights have any legal right to my child? [ 8 Answers ]

We adopted a child about 3 years ago and she was almost 5 yrs old. But the father who gave up his rights and let us adopt her is demanding visitation and said he is going to take us to court and try to get visitation. We use to allow him to see her but he isn't psychologically stable and it's not...

View more questions Search