Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MikeyLV Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2008, 03:50 PM
    12-gauge wire will not fit in 20A outlet screw terminal
    I have run conduit which came with 3-wire 12 gauge standed cable. I have it going to a 20A outlet, but all of the strands will not fit in the screw terminal.

The breaker is a 15A. Can I trim a few of the 12 gauge strands to get the wire to fit onto the screw terminal? Are electrical outlets also sold by wire gauge and amps?
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 04:12 PM
    Can't trim strands, Some receptciles will give a tough time getting all strands in clamp screw terminal. Screw terminals that don't have clamp should be wrapped around screw terminals and tightened. It helps to twist the strands first.
    You could pigtail a short piece of #12 solid if all strands won't fit.
    MikeyLV Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2008, 04:14 PM
    Do you mean pigtail via a wire nut?
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jul 19, 2008, 04:44 PM
    I have run conduit which came with 3-wire 12 gauge standed cable. I have it going to a 20A outlet, but all of the strands will not fit in the screw terminal.

The breaker is a 15A. Can I trim a few of the 12 gauge strands to get the wire to fit onto the screw terminal? Are electrical outlets also sold by wire gauge and amps?
    No you cannot trim off conductor strands. The best way to do this, is to pigtail (As suggest by Strat) a solid insulated #12 conductor to the stranded #12. You can do this at the panel, and at the device (receptacle). You can also use wire terminals listed for your install ( I believe yellow wire terminal will work in this case).

Do you mean pigtail via a wire nut?
    Yes! You will need a short piece (6 inches) of insulated #12 (solid). Wire nut the conductors based on the color: what to what, blk to blk, and bare copper to green (or to bare copper) for your equipment ground.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 06:19 PM
    Sorry, I have to ask this question.

You've run 12 AWG cable to a 20 amp receptacle, now you want to use a 15 amp breaker.

No can do. The next person that looks at that outlet will assume you ran a 20 amp line. Either go with a 15 amp receptacle and breaker or go with a 20 Amp breaker to a 20 Amp receptacle.
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 07:32 PM
    Sorry I have to answer this question. You can have a 20 amp receptacle , on a #12, on a 15 amp breaker, you could also put on 20 amp breaker.
    #12 is a 20 amp line?
    Donf, I think you misread something. Your usually right on.
    Mikey, some recepticles allow a #14 solid to be back wired(pushed in back hole) #12 won't fit, as well as stranded.
    I recccomend, NEVER use hole/Always use screw connection)

Jul 19, 2008, 10:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by donf
    Sorry, I have to ask this question.

You've run 12 AWG cable to a 20 amp receptacle, now you want to use a 15 amp breaker.

No can do. The next person that looks at that outlet will assume you ran a 20 amp line. Either go with a 15 amp receptacle and breaker or go with a 20 Amp breaker to a 20 Amp receptacle.
    donf,

I don't believe you fully understand the rule, but some of your understanding has raised an outstanding question.

If the OP has a 20 amp receptacles (T-slot), then it is an NEC violation if the device is being served by a 15A breaker. See NEC 210.21

I guess our question should be. Do you have a 20A receptacle with a t-slot?

Picture below:
    Attached Images

Jul 19, 2008, 10:20 PM
    donf,

-you can have a 15 or 20 amp circuit serve a 15 amp receptacle
    -you can have a 20 amp circuit serve a 20A or 15A receptacle. Note: The feed through rating is 20 amps when using the screws on a 15A receptacle device.
    CarlyTD Posts: 51, Reputation: 3

Jul 19, 2008, 11:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeyLV
    Are electrical outlets also sold by wire gauge and amps?
    Not sure if anyone answered this part or not, but Yes, outlets and switches come in 15 and 20 Amps. It is best to keep the amperage consistent (20A breaker 12 g wire 20A outlet). 20A outlets have the T like the picture above.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 21, 2008, 10:06 AM
    Strat,

If the OCPD is 15 AMP and you have run 12 AWG to a 15 Amp receptacle, I have no problem.

If as in this situation, you have a 15 AMP OCPD tied to a 12 AWG conductor and connected to a 20 Amp receptacle one look at that receptacle will tell you this is a 20 amp line. Common (or uncommon) sense says to me either go with 15 Amp listed devices or use 20 amp but do not mix a 15 Amp OCPD with an apparent 20 Amp load.

I am not making this statement based on the contents of the NEC. I am concerned about the person who does not realize that the amperage allowed does not match the expectation set by the presence of the 20 amp receptacle. I guess it is opinion nothing more or less.
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2008, 03:24 PM
    Donf, I was assmuming, when the Poster said wires wouldn't fit, I figured? It must be 15 Amp Receptacle. I agree the 20 Amp Breaker(Code or not)Especially if it has has # 12, and a 20 Amp receptacle in place.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wire service, wire gauge 100 amp [ 9 Answers ]

I'm installing a 100 amp service in the backyard with a separate meter on a pole next to sub-suface power tranasformer. I have a 100 amp meter box on one side of the pole and a 100 amp braker panel with a 100 amp main breaker on the other side. I'm going to place in it a 15-20 amp breaker for gfi...

Wire Gauge? [ 7 Answers ]

I've been looking for 2 days for an online wire gauge calculator. I'm going to relocate my meter to the side of my house (converting from overhead to underground service), then I'm going to remove the existing electrical panel (from the outside of the house) and install a breaker panel on the...

Connecting 14 gauge wire and 12 gauge wires in the same blue box. [ 2 Answers ]

I am wiring my basement. All the outlets are running off 2 independent 20 amp circuit breakers connected to each other by 12/2 wire. I wanted to run some stubs off my 12/2 outlets. All each stub would do is run to a small light (max 180 watts) and of course a light switch. Since I ran out...

Gauge of wire? [ 1 Answers ]

Thank you for responding. I would like to know what size of wire I need to run a circuit 125 amp, 240V to a sub panel 244 feet away? Or, what size of wire I need to run a circuit 60 amp, 240V to a sub panel 244 feew away? Thank you in advance

Mixing wiring and outlet wire gauge . [ 5 Answers ]

If I have a 15 amp circuit, and 14 gauge wire, why can't I install a 20-amp outlet? If a 20-amp device is plugged into the outlet, won't the circuit trip, preventing overload? Also, 20-amp outlets and 15-amp outlets appear to have the same connection for devices (two prongs and a ground hole),...

View more questions Search