Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firelight Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2008, 03:07 PM
    Yard Man 20Hp Briggs and Stratton engine
    My 2000 YM Mower's starter has not worked for a while - so I've been hotwiring it (under the seat). Today it would not start and the battery seemed dead. Took it to AutoZone and they confirmed and then charged the battery. As soon as I tried to start it I got a spark - and then nothing. I'm hearing a light clicking sound, but I JUST charged the battery.

Any help is appreciated. (Also, would jumping it with my car hurt it?)

<moved>
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 06:00 AM
    The click sound could be a fuel solenoid located on the bottom of the carb. Look and see if you have a fuel solenoid.
    ss62 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 12:54 PM
    Have a multi volt meter? Just because the battery was charged doesn't mean it's OK and it could have a cell headed south. I just bought a brand new portable battery booster from Advance. I charged it the required 24 hours and the status light went from red to green (fully charged). Two days later I tried boosting a mower and it did nothing. Hit the status light and it was in the red meaning it needs charging so no doubt it's defective. The light clicking you hear could also be from the starter solenoid due to a weak/defective battery. As for boosting, I've boosted mowers with my truck but NEVER with it's motor running and have had no problems. If you do, do NOT stay on the start long and it's your call/your risk.
    claybal Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 05:46 PM
    Solenoid or starter is bad. Your battery may also not be working under load.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

14.5 Briggs and Stratton engine [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please tell me how to adjust the valves on a 14.5 over head valve engine? Thanks, roustaboutx

12.5hp I/C Briggs&Stratton engine [ 3 Answers ]

I went to start my riding mower for the first time this year and when it started is smoked real bad. I turned it off and checked the oil, it was over filled. I went to drain the oil and discovered it had gas in the oil. It ran fine last year, but I didn't drain the gas out at the end of the season....

Yard Man 20Hp Briggs and Stratton engine [ 3 Answers ]

My lawn mower will start with a new or freshly charged battery. When you turn it off it will not crank unless you charge the battery again. My question is where is the alternator where I can take it off and exchange it.

Briggs & Stratton 20hp won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have an MTD Yardman with a 20hp B & S Intek V-Twin engine. The mower was running OK when last used but, after stopping for about 1/2 hour, wouldn't restart. I replaced the plugs and checked spark - both OK. Replaced fuel filter. Fuel flowing through filter and pump, and reaching carburettor....

View more questions Search