Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TJM01 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2008, 12:05 PM
    Craftsman Lawn Tractor - Unable to Start Tractor
    Hello,

I currently having difficulty starting my Sears Craftsman Lawn Tractor, (Model# 917.259830). I was using the tractor and had to shut it off to move a lawn hose. When I tried to start it again it just clicked. Specifically upon turning the keying, it makes a click sound followed by a whin. I've replaced the battery, solenoid, spark plug, and checked the wire connections, which appears to be fine. I'm about to send away for the ignition switch.
    Any help you could provide to help troubleshoot, would be appreciated. With regards.

<moved>
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 05:59 AM
    Do you mean a whine? Like the starter is spinning but the engine is not turning over? If so, you need to check the bendix gear on the top of the starter. It is probably damaged and the teeth will be gone. You can purchase the bendix gear kit and repair the top end of the starter very easily and quickly.
    claybal Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jul 23, 2008, 06:05 PM
    Check to make sure your PTO switch for your blades is not engaged and if a manual lever its not in the up position, otherwise you probably just need to replace the starter drive in the starter.
    herby1234 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2010, 11:38 AM
    s1642 scott lawn tractor I'm about ready to screamneed help. The mower only starts when it wants to. I checked th 15 amp fuse it is good thought it was battery had it checked out battery was good .I came home from getting bttery checked out and put battery in mower though I would give it a try it started first try. I drove it around the yard no problems. I turned if off try to restart and guess what nothing go figure. Can someone please me.
    robert sakell Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2013, 05:45 PM
    Check your starter,It sounds like its not engaging.Check teeth on starter.Then check solenoid switch.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Craftsman 18 HP lawn tractor turns over but won't start [ 8 Answers ]

I have an older (86-87) 18 HP Craftsman lawn tractor (917.2559101) that turns over really nicely but will not catch and start. In fact it sounds like the starter is just turning freely without any load on it. Someone told me they thought I needed to replace the solenoid? I know this is an old...

Craftsman lawn tractor B&S 18.5 hp crank no start [ 7 Answers ]

Getting mower ready for first time use this year. It will make a revolution when tried to start, but that's it. Normal maintenance was performed, changed oil, plug, air filter, charged battery. Tried jumping the rider with my truck, same result. Tried jumping the starter directly, same result....

Craftsman lawn tractor-won't start [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a Craftsman lawn tractor (model 917.271050), 15.5 HP engine. I am having problems getting it started. Here is what I have done so far: --new battery and battery was checked to see if it had full charge -- new ignition switch -- new solenoid

Craftsman lawn tractor won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a LT 2000 lawn tractor,3 years old I cut it off and it won't do anything, no noise when ignition switch is turned on I have 12 volts to the solenoid, I replaced the solenoid, still does not do anything Please help

View more questions Search