Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andyhaus1057 Posts: 98, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2008, 11:48 AM
    Solving word problems
    1) How would I word a problem that is a proportion?

2) How would I solve if 3 lbs of sugar cost $5, then how much is 5 lbs of sugar?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 19, 2008, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by andyhaus1057
    1) How would I word a problem that is a proportion?

2) How would I solve if 3 lbs of sugar cost $5, then how much is 5 lbs of sugar?

Is this homework? I realize you've posted homework questions before. Maybe you're going to summer school - ?

I thought the policy was to not do homework - or else have you post the answer and someone will tell you if you're right or wrong.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2008, 06:25 AM
    Take for example, three apples cost 10 rupees (that's my currency!). You are asked how much would 6 of them cost. That's easy to say, you do twice the price of the three apples, that is 20 rupees. But if we asked you 7 such apples!

Consider the first simple case,
    3 apples --> 10 rupees
    1 apple --> 10/3 rupees
    6 apples --> (10/3) x 6 = 10 x 2 = 20 rupees
    7 apples --> (10/3) x 7 = 70/3 = 23.30 rupees (rounded off to the nearest 10cents)

In algebra, that is mathematical notation, you say, let price of one apple be (you can choose any variable, but do not confuse yourself! )

Then,

Hope that that let you understand this 'conversion' in mathematics!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Physics-solving center of gravity problems [ 10 Answers ]

I am doing extra work in my college physics course to try to get in a groove with parallel forces and center of gravity problems. I am stuck. I have navigated my online membership course, RapidMastery for Physics, and I'm still stuck. Any helpful explanations would be appreciated. The problem is...

Quick online physics reference guide for solving problems [ 5 Answers ]

Hello All, I love Physics and enjoy to help students with different problems. I Am Associate Professor, Ph.D. in Physics and Mathematics, Senior Lecturer in General Physics with more than 20 years experience I. More Details about my subjects and background you can see on my site: ...

Solving Quadratic Equations/ WORD PROBLEMS [ 5 Answers ]

I HAVE NO IDEA HOW TO DO SOMTHINGLIKE THIS?? The length of a rectangle is 2 feet more than the height. The area of the rectangle is 5 foot , find the base?

Pre cal word problems [ 1 Answers ]

A 100 foot line is attached to a kite. When the kite has pulled the line taunt, the angle of elevation to the kite is approximatley 50 degrees. Approximate the height of the kite.

View more questions Search