Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    northwoods96 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2008, 10:04 AM
    Lawn boy mower will not start -no spark
    I have a 6.5 hpwr 2-stroke Lawnboy about 6 years old that is getting fuel but will not fire.
    When grounding the spark plug to the engine after removal and cranking, I get nothing. How do you test the electronic ignition to determine if it is the problem?

Thanks

<moved>
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2008, 05:56 AM
    Remove the kill wire from the coil and try it again, if it fires, check for a short or naked place on the kill wire. Do not try to start the engine this way with the spark plug in the engine, because you will not have a kill device to kill the engine.
    dkinney Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2009, 12:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOWERMAN2468 View Post
    remove the kill wire from the coil and try it again, if it fires, check for a short or naked place on the kill wire. do not try to start the engine this way with the spark plug in the engine, because you will not have a kill device to kill the engine.
    I am having the same problem... can you tell me where the kill wire from the coil is? Thanks for your help.
    boogiewoog72 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2012, 12:40 PM
    It is a thin wire that runs from your coil (what the spark plug wire is attached to) over to your kill switch, which is what that annoying handle you have to hold down while you're mowing is attached to. It is usually PLUGGED into the side of the coil and simply attached to the kill switch directly.Make sure your gap between the coil and the flywheel is set properly. If this don't work try a new coil. They are simple to change and not too expensive. BUT be sure to set the gap right!! And maybe run some emery cloth over the surface of the flywheel to make sure it is clean. (try this with the coil itself, too)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lawn mower won't start , changed Plug , but Still won't Start [ 2 Answers ]

My lawn mower won't Start , I tried Changing the Plug , But still won't Start

Lawn Mower won't start [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Murray riding lawn mower. I used it this morning and after lunch I wanted to finish. I took 1 turn around the house and it died. Now it won't start. It has gas, and oil. It sounds like it wants to start. The battery is a new one.

Lawn Mower Will Not Start After Use [ 1 Answers ]

My 6.25 horse Tecumseh lawn mower starts right up when I begin to mow the lawn. When I turn off the mower to empty the grass I cannot get the mower to start. Gas is new, replaced spark plug also. Need some advice.

Lawn mower won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Scott gas mower. Just got it back from the shop - all cleaned up and ready to go. Used it once and all was fine. Now it won't start. After priming it, it sounds like it wants to start when I pull the rope... but it just won't catch. I press the priming button multiple times (not just...

View more questions Search