Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    curiousgeorgie Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Jul 19, 2008, 09:41 AM
    Don't have college degree
    I don't have a college degree and my job doesn't require one. However, coworkers around me mention their degrees and I feel so out of place for not having a degree. Is it political suicide for me to admit that I do not have a degree? Does anyone share about not having a degree and how has that impacted you in the work environment.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jul 19, 2008, 09:43 AM
    Experience counts MORE than any piece of paper any day.
    Admit it and be proud.

I don't have a degree and yet I am IT manager for a multi-million dollar company, but I have buckets loads of experience.
    adam_89 Posts: 1,866, Reputation: 280
    Ultra Member

Jul 24, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Hey! I never even graduated high school, and yet here I am making good money and I am sure that everybody I work with does have a high school education at least. This too where I work is a multi-million dollar company. I don't feel that ashamed, but privaliged I guess.

Jul 24, 2008, 01:31 PM
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts Curlyben and adam_89.
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2008, 01:53 PM
    I feel that it's best not to share anything personal at work that puts you in a negative or potentially negative light, or that you don't want broadcast or used to make a case for not promoting you, etc. Don't make the mistake of thinking colleagues are friends in the same way as non-colleague friends because you may one day supervise them, be supervised by them or compete with them for a promotion or retention of your job in the event of layoffs. Your manager now may not care you don't have a degree, but the person who takes that job next just might see it as a shortcoming... why draw attention to it? They are unlikely to ever look at your resume again unless you give them reason to do so.

If you feel having a degree would improve your prospects, go get one! There is no reason including money, time, age or anything else you can think of as an excuse that cannot be overcome with all the options out there today for college. I am back in school at middle age to change careers mid-stream. It's the best thing I've ever done for my self-esteem, social outlets and prospects for improved income in the future. I will be in my new career well beyond middle age but will still have a 20 plus year run in my new career. Better than another 20 years in the career I find boring and like "treading water" financially.

Take care!

Sep 8, 2008, 09:44 AM
    Thank you dontknownuthin for your perspective. I think I will go back to school as soon as my teenager graduates from HS this year.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

College student w/o w-2 but can I file tax to get college tuition credits back? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a college student with no job income(no W-2 form) but do have few dollars of interest earned from saving account(1099-INT form). I know I do not have to file tax return since the income is extremely low. But I heard if I file tax return then I can get few hundreds of college tuition...

College guy suddenly confusing college girl [ 4 Answers ]

So here's the deal: I entered college midyear. During my first week, I met this incredibly nice & cute guy. We hit it off. We spent hours just talking in his room. He drove me to the bookstore to get my books. We went out for fast food a couple times. Things got complicated when he decided to...

College/degree question [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter is a junior in HS and she is interested in pursuing a career in orthotics/prosthetics. We are trying to locate information on which colleges would be the best for her, to help her in this pursuit. Also, we need some help in determining what her degree should be in; we know there are few...

Avoiding "degree mills", seeking real degree! [ 9 Answers ]

I started as an education major in the State University of NY Oswego. I made an unusual, and perhaps unwise decision to put my learning in first place, and made no efforts to get a degree. I read "Pedagogy of the Oppressed" by Ivan Illich, and got turned on to his untraditional, radical approach to...

View more questions Search