Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jangkee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2008, 03:23 AM
    Travel abroad with green card
    Me and my wife want to a trip soon, she a condition green card holder and have a valid passport from her country. I have read that all required of you is a valid passport and green when entering the states. Her problem is that her passport doesn't have my last name, but the green card does. My question is would that be a issue or can she get that fix when she in her country? Hopefully this make sense and I thank you in advance for taking your time to answer this.. :) :) :) :D
    lawanwadee Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 124
    Immigration Expert

Jul 19, 2008, 08:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jangkee
    me and my wife want to a trip soon, she a condition green card holder and have a valid passport from her country. I have read that all required of you is a valid passport and green when entering the states. her problem is that her passport doesn't have my last name, but the green card does. My question is would that be a issue or can she get that fix when she in her country? hopefully this make sense and I thank you in advance for taking your time to answer this..:) :) :) :D
    She can travel.. no problem BUT it's recommended not to stay outside US over 6 months in one year. The trip can be a couple of months at a time or six months on one trip, etc. but in total, must not exceed 6 months.

If she has emergency situation and the trip might tale longer, it's safer to to obtain re-entry permit which will enable her to stay outside US for one year. Re-Entry permit can be obtained by filing I-130.

Regarding her name on greencard and passport, this is NO problem at all. It's advised that she purchase the ticket according to her name in the passport. On the return trip, she must provide greencard to immigration officer at port of entry, keep a copy of marriage license handy. That's all she needs to do.

She has the right to maintain her maiden name in Thailand and also in US, and it's best to do so.

Since she is a Thai, my blog here might be helpful for her: index : Lawanwadee
    Jangkee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 19, 2008, 09:22 PM
    Thanks lawanwadeeyour information really help out a lot, I guess I'm taking that trip after all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need advise green card and travel out of the you.S! [ 2 Answers ]

Five years ago, I came to the United States as an international Student. Then I married and I have my I485 permanent green card. My green card Will be expired 12/2008. Now I want to travel to Asia for about 4 months. The question is will I have any trouble when I'm out the United States? I...

H1, married, wife abroad; now both in the US w/green card [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I had H1 and got married in July 2005. My wife remained abroad. I filed my taxes as "single" in 2005. I and my wife entered US in Jan 19,2007 with green card. (we were approved for permanent status on 1/9/07) . Can I file my taxes for 2006 as married-joint, even though I had H-1 and my wife...

View more questions Search